[Students] ASUCR Newsletter for 11/13-11/17

Asha Nettles asha.nettles at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 15 12:10:31 PST 2023

[signature_2819833611]

>From the Office of the President and President Pro Tempore:

Student Research Culture Discussion:
Hello UCR students, if you're a student researcher and you'd like to share concerns, ideas for improvement, or any general feedback with your student leaders, please don't hesitate to reach out. Please feel free to attend our Student Research Culture Discussion on 11/27 at 12:30-1:30pm and share your thoughts with students! We are here to empower you.

You can also share any information or feedback here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScTV1R8x5bIisVTFUtEkEjGa1LPTqRBaTGP3gH2kv0jz1Flpw/viewform>.

[image.png]

________________________________
>From the Office of the President and Internal Affairs:

Dear Clubs and Organizations of UC Riverside,

ASUCR and CALPIRG are excited to announce that we will be hosting a Canned Food Drive and invite your organization to participate!

Event Details:
Canned Food Drive Dates: November 20 to 22 and from November 27 to December 1

Collection Location: HUB202 ASUCR Office (open 8am-5pm)

Donate Cans: Encourage your organization members to bring canned food items during the specified collection dates to the ASUCR office. Every can counts!
Pizza Party Incentive: The organization that donates the most cans will be crowned the winner and will receive an exclusive Pizza Party for their members!
Impact: All collected canned goods will be donated to local food shelters making a positive impact on our local community.
[image.png]
This is a fantastic opportunity for your organization to make a difference and showcase the spirit of giving within the UC Riverside community. Plus, who wouldn't want to enjoy a pizza party with their fellow members?

Let's come together and empower our community!

Best,
Ankita Ahluwalia
ASUCR President

The UCR Community learned last week of the passing of the death of ASUCR's first student body president, Charles Young. In the spring of 1954, Young was a member of UC Riverside's inaugural class of 127 students. After joining ASUCR, Young launched his campaign for student body president. Young wrote to students, "I am convinced that the student body of this college is capable of laying the foundations that are needed if this organization which we are now founding is to be lasting." In 1954, Charles Young was elected ASUCR's president. While president, Young helped to establish several student organizations and athletics that are still here today. Working closely with the administration, Young established many UCR traditions, such as the creation of the Big C and the use of the name "Highlanders." Charles Young graduated from UC Riverside with a degree in Political Science and then earned his master's and his doctorate from UCLA. In his continued work in higher education, Young was appointed chancellor of UCLA in 1968 and during his time contributed to the expansion of the university and played a significant role in adopting the California Master Plan for Higher Education. Our condolences go out to his family during this time. His dedication as ASUCR's first student body president began the legacy that we continue today.

For more information, please see the UCR News Announcement<https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2023/10/23/charles-young-university-california-icon-dies-91> and full remarks from ASUCR<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rPi0tkgZuXWfxEToowyzJP3MQ6tuDs9vd_Yw0oXyyRk/edit?usp=sharing>.

[signature_2819833611]