[Students] ASUCR Newsletter for the Week of 10/2-10/6

Asha Nettles asha.nettles at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 4 09:34:29 PDT 2023

[signature_2819833611]
>From the ASUCR Office of the President:

Hello UCR Students,

I hope everyone is having a great start to the school year as we're embarking on an exciting journey together at the University of California, Riverside. Whether you're a returning or new student on our beautiful and diverse campus, ASUCR warmly welcomes all of you into the 2023-2024 academic year! Hope all of you have an incredible college journey ahead. As a senior this year, I can proudly say this campus has provided my peers and me with enriching opportunities, lasting friendships, and meaningful mentorship that has allowed me to thrive! This is what our UCR community does. We support and empower each other every step of the way.

Our university is a place where diverse voices shine, where innovation thrives, and where the pursuit of knowledge is at the core of our mission. To all of our new students - welcome to the beginning of an exciting chapter in your lives! To our returning students, welcome back! Your resilience and dedication in navigating challenges and new experiences has shaped you into the person you are today. Your continued commitment to your studies and to each other is a testament to the strength of our UCR community. Your experiences and leadership will continue to shape and elevate our campus.

I invite each of you to take an active role in shaping your UCR experience. Explore student government<https://asucr.ucr.edu/>, various student organizations, clubs, and events that align with your interests and passions. Engage in meaningful discussions, push the boundaries of your knowledge, and seize every opportunity to make a difference. As your President, I am here to support you on your academic journey. My door is always open, and I welcome your ideas, concerns, and feedback. Let us work together to ensure that your time at UCR is both fulfilling and transformative.

The Associated Students of UCR, ASUCR, is UCR's official undergraduate government built to empower you! Join one of our wonderful branches to be the change you hope to see in UCR: Executive<https://asucr.ucr.edu/leadership/executive-branch>, Legislative<https://asucr.ucr.edu/people>, and Judicial<https://asucr.ucr.edu/leadership/judicial>.

In closing, let me once again extend my heartfelt welcome to all UCR students. Together, we can be the change we hope to see on-campus and beyond. I look forward to seeing all that we will achieve together in the coming year.

Best,
Ankita Ahluwalia
ASUCR President
Office Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10-11am
Email: asucrpresident at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrpresident at ucr.edu>
Website: https://linktr.ee/asucr_president

________________________________
>From the ASUCR Office of the Transfer Student Director:
Hello Highlanders,
My name is Noor Javed, and I am excited to serve as your Transfer Student Director for this year.  We have some opportunities for transfer students and those interested in supporting transfer students at UCR. Please apply by October 8th if you're interested in supporting transfer students at UCR.

Listed below are the available positions, please read through each positions responsibilities and apply here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe0_a1eV3FOShkdoBguCsaOVEX8Z3Y7wbM_u_Y4GeoskcwEyA/viewform> to the ones that interest you.

Transfer Student Committee Positions available:

  *   Vice Chair
  *   Outreach Coordinator
  *   Marketing Coordinator
  *   Event Coordinator
  *   General Committee Members

Please feel free to contact me at asucrtransfer at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrtransfer at ucr.edu>  if you have any questions/concerns.
Thank you for your interest in applying to be a part of the Transfer Student Director's Committee for 2023-24.

________________________________
>From the ASUCR Office of the Vice President of External Affairs:

Hey Highlanders! Happy week one! These are this week's announcements from the ASUCR External Office.

WIN FREE AIRPODS!

Hey Highlanders!

Do you want a chance to win some free AirPods? ASUCR External is hosting a Voter Registration Drive this week until Friday October 6th. If you register to vote, you will be entered in the raffle to win AirPods! We will be tabling everyday from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM by the Bell Tower Lawn in front of Pierce Lawn. Can't register to vote? That's okay! You can pre-register to vote or bring a friend to register to vote, and you will both be added to the raffle. Hope to see you there! Results will be announced on Monday on our @asucrexternal Instagram.

P.S. We have cool Norm and Scotty Stickers and limited edition Barbie and Ken "Registered to Vote" stickers.

[cid:image002.png at 01D9F6A4.4A6FCA50]

Best,

Ángel Rentería Enriquez (He/Him)

Vice President of External Affairs

asucrexternal at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrexternal at ucr.edu>

Vivian Herrera (She/Her)

Civic Engagement Director

asucrvotes at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrvotes at ucr.edu>

JOIN THE HIGHLANDER ACTION COMMITTEE!

Greetings Highlanders!

Applications for the Highlander Action Committee are now open! Our committee serves to promote student advocacy and activism at UCR by supporting grassroots projects and initiatives. Our aim is to build coalitions with student and community organizations in order to effectively address student, community, and systemic issues. The Highlander Action Committee offers a spearheaded, community-based approach towards creating meaningful change and works alongside campaigns such as ACQUIRE, Fund The UC, Racial Justice Now, UCweVote, and SEED.

Our general member applications can be found here: Highlander Action Committee Interest Form<https://forms.gle/tQJKDxdCDWYRxkWbA>

Anyone and everyone is encouraged to apply, so do not hesitate to reach out and get involved! :)

Finally, be sure to join our GroupMe (https://groupme.com/join_group/95213152/pV3EYRyB) for important committee announcements and updates! Feel free to introduce yourself and contact us for any questions or concerns! Also, make sure to follow our instagram @ucrhac to stay updated!

Best Regards,

Cooper Kumar (he/him)

Director of Campus Partnerships | ASUCR External Affairs

Organizing Director | UC Student Association

Associated Students of University of California, Riverside
For scheduling, contact ckuma010 at ucr.edu<mailto:ckuma010 at ucr.edu>

OPPORTUNITIES TO TRAVEL TO SACRAMENTO AND WASHINGTON D.C.

Join the Legislative Advocacy Committee TODAY!

Are you interested in free travel to represent UCR students in Sacramento or Washington D.C.? If you're passionate about fighting for students' right to a quality education and experience at the UC or are looking for more ways to get involved on campus, join the Legislative Advocacy Committee TODAY!!  We offer lobby training, education on legislative matters, and more. The deadline to apply is October 5th. If you have any questions, email asucrgrd at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrgrd at ucr.edu> and check out the highlights @asucrgr to see last year's content!

Apply Here: https://bit.ly/asucrlac

Kindly,

Joanna Mendez (she/her)
Government Relations Director
asucrgrd at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrgrd at ucr.edu>

[cid:image003.png at 01D9F6A4.4A6FCA50]

JOIN THE HIGHLANDER LABOR COMMITTEE

Hey Highlanders!

If you have some grievances about being a student worker and want to feel heard or are looking for more ways to get involved on campus, join the Highlander Labor Committee now! You can represent student workers and fight for students' right to a quality work experience in the UC. The deadline to apply is October 6th, 2023. If you have any questions, email asucrlabor at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrlabor at ucr.edu>.

Apply here: https://bit.ly/asucrlc<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfnwTMTicUI0_TdQZOBSUA0WL_veWaC7oCJePUHwH2qNimDfQ/viewform>

Sincerely,

Elvira Rabadon (She/Her)
Labor Relations Director
asucrlabor at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrlabor at ucr.edu>

[cid:image004.png at 01D9F6A4.4A6FCA50]

JOIN THE CIVIC ENGAGEMENT COMMITTEE

Hello Highlanders!

The application is now open for the Civic Engagement Committee! Check out the amazing opportunities that are available to ensure that R'Vote counts. The Civic Engagement Committee focuses on get out the vote efforts and educating students on the importance of voting, alongside offering ways to be civically engaged outside of just voting. If this interests you, apply today! Link is attached in the QR Code Below.

Sincerely,

Vivian Herrera (She/Her)

Civic Engagement Director

asucrvotes at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrvotes at ucr.edu>

[cid:image005.png at 01D9F6A4.4A6FCA50]

Want to get involved in student advocacy? Join ASUCR External! Reach out to asucradvocacy at ucr.edu<mailto:asucradvocacy at ucr.edu> to learn more.

[cid:image006.png at 01D9F6A4.4A6FCA50] ASUCR External Affairs - Real Change Starts Here.

[signature_2819833611]