[Faculty] Campus Leadership Statement on Indigenous Identity Affiliation

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 17 08:18:19 PDT 2021

The University of California, Riverside values its commitments to local Indigenous tribal communities and investment in Native American and Indigenous scholarship and studies globally. It is out of this deep respect and wish to continue serving Native peoples and advocating for decolonial institutional change that campus leaders insist upon transparency and integrity in matters of Indigenous affiliation and identity by all members of our intellectual community, including and especially those responsible for professional and ethical knowledge production and dissemination.

Indigenous affiliation or self-identification is not an act that can be asserted in isolation. We believe that the determination of Indigenous and Tribal membership - even with all its complexity and fraught political history - must rest with Indigenous communities themselves to affirm tribal sovereignty and the right of Native self-determination.

UCR will continue ongoing conversations with campus Native scholars and others committed to transformative institutional practice to identify and implement improved policies and procedures, ensuring more rigorous attention to Indigenous commitments in our recruitment, retention, and admissions practices.

Kim Wilcox, Chancellor
Elizabeth Watkins, Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor
Jason Stajich, Academic Senate Chair
Deborah Deas, Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences and Mark and Pam Rubin Dean, School of Medicine
Anil Deolalikar, Dean, School of Public Policy
Christopher Lynch, Dean, Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering
Louie Rodriguez, Interim Dean, School of Education
Kathryn Uhrich, Dean, College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
Yunzeng Wang, Dean, School of Business
Daryle Williams, Dean, College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences