[Students] Athletics Working Group

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 2 08:24:29 PST 2020

Dear Campus Community,

In late August, the Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) provided a series of recommendations to bring our budget into balance. As all of you know, we are addressing permanent reductions from state funding and loss of other revenues while also incurring increased expenses for responding to COVID-19.

One of the areas identified for potential reductions was UCR Athletics. Over the last two months, I have listened to students, alumni, parents, staff, faculty, donors, and community members. After careful review, I believe this topic deserves additional focus. For this reason, I've assembled a working group to review our options, opportunities, and challenges.

I have appointed the following people to the Athletics Working Group, which will be chaired by Brian Haynes, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.

*       Susan Atherton '77, Immediate Past Chair, Board of Trustees

*       Walter Clark, Faculty Athletic Representative and Distinguished Professor of Music

*       Luis Huerta, ASUCR President

*       Tamica Smith Jones, Director, Intercollegiate Athletics

*       Katherine Kinney, Associate Professor of English & Chair of the Academic Senate Planning & Budget

*       Chris Lynch, Dean, Bourns College of Engineering

*       Raena Robinson, Student Athlete (Women's Softball)

*       Julie Salgado, Former Staff Assembly President and Event Services Coordinator (CHASS)

*       Frances Sladek, Divisional Dean for Life Sciences (CNAS) and Professor of Cell Biology

*       Nichi Yes, Graduate Student Association

I have asked the working group to begin meeting in November and provide a report of their recommendations in February 2021. More information about the group's charge is available on our website<https://chancellor.ucr.edu/athletics-working-group>.

Thank you to everyone who has provided ideas and suggestions as well as the members of our working group who have committed time and energy to this important matter.

Sincerely,

[cid:image001.png at 01D5A369.AC9E3280]

Kim A. Wilcox,
Chancellor