[Students] ASUCR Updates - Message from the President, Survey, Committee Application, Meetings and Conferences!

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 19 17:18:01 PST 2021

CAMPUS REOPENING – PRIORITIES:

Hello Highlanders!

With President Michael V. Drake’s announcement of aiming to reopen all 10 campuses across the University of California in the fall, the ASUCR has listed priorities that the administration and campus leadership of UC Riverside should take into consideration when planning for in-person instruction of fall 2021.

Please see the list of priorities and recommendations here.

Highlanders, email asucrpresident at ucr.edu if you have any questions or priorities you would like to see addressed for a potential fall 2021 reopening. Thank you!

Luis Huerta

ASUCR President

COMMUNICATE WITH PROFESSORS (INTERNAT’L/OUT OF STATE STUDENTS):

Happy Week 3 Highlanders! Are you currently a student facing learning challenges due to time zone differences (International or out of state student) and have trouble communicating with your Professors and TAs about class accommodations?

The International Student Committee has provided an email template available for all students to use to communicate with professors, TAs, and staff about classroom accommodations and suggestions to help professors improve their teaching to make their teaching more equitable and accessible for all students during remote learning.

You can find the document HERE and use it as a reference/ guide.

Cristy Chen,

Chair Director of International Student Committee

cchen280 at ucr.edu

ASUCR ELECTIONS SURVEY - WIN GIFT CARDS:

Hello Highlanders!

The Student Voice Committee (SVC) will be raffling off gift cards to Amazon!!!!

All you need to do is complete a survey about the ASUCR Elections and choose to leave your email for the raffle.

Please read the following for more details on the survey and for the chance to win one of our gift cards to Amazon.

The Student Voice Committee (SVC), in collaboration with the ASUCR Elections Committee, are working together to gather information on how much students like yourself are familiar with the ASUCR Elections and what are their thoughts about the process. In order to do so, we created an ASUCR Elections Survey designed to gather feedback on your thoughts about the elections themselves, what motivates you to vote, how the elections can be improved in the future, and much more.

Understanding your thoughts about the ASUCR Elections will surely help the ASUCR Elections Committee better familiarize the student body with the Elections process. This will in turn help increase voter turnout in the elections and ensure that the student body has a greater voice in electing its representatives and the propositions that best meet their needs.

We strongly encourage all students, regardless of whether they have voted or not in past elections, to take this survey.

The link to the survey can be found right here: https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0ON2NRdvOx3wQxn

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at asucrsvc at ucr.edu.

Best regards,

Mark Hanin

Vice-Chair of Student Voice Committee

asucrsvc at ucr.edu

INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COMMITTEE – APPLY TODAY:

Hello Highlanders,

The International Student Committee under the Personnel Director is currently recruiting undergraduate students to fill in staff positions for Winter 2021. The committee focuses on advocacy, representation, and inclusion for International Students on all campus-wide activities.

The application with descriptions and information of all the positions can be found in the link below: https://forms.gle/HrD1dbgCG8wRPrG86

The deadline to apply is January 24th, 2021 at 11:59 PM

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please email cchen280 at ucr.edu

Cristina Chen

Chair Director of International Student Committee

cchen280 at ucr.edu

STATE OF THE ASSOCIATION MEETING TONIGHT:

Hello, Highlanders!

Today will be our first State of the Association Meeting of the quarter! To access the zoom link, legislation, finance hearing minutes, and public forum/comment form click on the link below! If you are not able to attend, don't worry - the Senate Meetings are recorded and attached to the link below as well! I hope to see you all there! Happy Week 3!

The Office of the Executive Vice President Link

Best Regards,

Natalie Hernandez
Executive Vice President (She/Her)

asucrevp at ucr.edu

APPLY TO THE STUDENTS OF COLOR CONFERENCE

Highlanders, ASUCR External is excited to be working with the UC Student Association to host a remote version of our oldest organizing space: The Students of Color Conference. On the eve of turning 50 years old in the middle of a pandemic, our systemwide advocacy efforts have never been more important.

In order to promote equity and fight for racial justice issues, we welcome your attendance at the 2021 UC SOCC, being hosted Jan 30 & 31. The conference is free to attend, ASUCR will be working to provide grocery cards to our delegates, and UCSA is lining up a phenomenal series of speakers and workshops for our theme: The Seeds of Hope: Finding Resilience, Resistance and Revolution. Apply before Jan 28 at bit.ly/SOCC2021.

Vincent Rasso | He/Him/His

Vice President of External Affairs

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

READ THIS WEEK’S HIGHLANDER (LINK):

Hi Highlanders and happy week 3! Issue 12 of The Highlander is here! This week, The Highlander’s editorial board explored how faculty intimidation on our reporting can lead to a culture of fear and an issue of censorship of student press. To read our editorial and the rest of Issue 12, click here or read more at highlandernews.org!

Sincerely,

Amani Mahmoud

Highlander Editor-in-Chief

She/Her/Hers