[Students] ASUCR UPDATE: Conferences, Webinars, Surveys, Petitions, Gift Cards and More!

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 26 17:13:12 PST 2021

ASUCR ELECTIONS SURVEY - WIN GIFT CARDS!!!! (Final Reminder):

Hello Highlanders!

The Student Voice Committee (SVC) will be raffling off Gift Cards to Amazon!!!!

All you need to do is complete a survey sharing your thoughts about the ASUCR Elections, what motivates you to vote, how the elections can be improved in the future, and much more. After that, you may choose to leave your email for the raffle.

As a kind reminder, please make sure to complete the survey by January 29th at 11:59 PM PDT in order to get your name in the raffle on time.

We strongly encourage you to complete this survey, regardless of whether or not you have voted in past ASUCR elections.

Your feedback is important more than ever to making sure that UCR students, like yourself, are able to trust in the election process as well as be able to vote more easily in the upcoming ASUCR elections this year with greater motivation.

The link to the survey can be found right here: https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0ON2NRdvOx3wQxn.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at asucrsvc at ucr.edu.

Best regards,

Mark Hanin

Vice-Chair of Student Voice Committee

asucrsvc at ucr.edu

SENATE MEETING TONIGHT!

Hello, Highlanders!

Today will be our fourth Senate Meeting of the quarter! To access the zoom link, legislation, finance hearing minutes, and public forum/comment form, click on the link below! If you are not able to attend, don't worry - the Senate Meetings are recorded and attached to the link below as well! I hope to see you all there! Have a great week 4 and good luck with midterms!

The Office of the Executive Vice President Link

Best Regards,

Natalie Hernandez
Executive Vice President (She/Her)

asucrevp at ucr.edu

APPLY TO THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COMMITTEE:

Hello Highlanders,

Happy week 4! The International Student Committee under the Personnel Director is currently recruiting undergraduate students to fill in staff positions for Winter 2021. The committee focuses on advocacy, representation, and inclusion for International Students on all campus-wide activities.

The application with descriptions and information of all the positions can be found in the link below: https://forms.gle/HrD1dbgCG8wRPrG86

The extended deadline to apply is January 31st, 2021, at 11:59 PM

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please email cchen280 at ucr.edu

Cristina Chen

Chair Director of International Student Committee

cchen280 at ucr.edu

ZERO WASTE WEBINAR:  YOU’RE INVITED!

Hi Highlanders! Happy Wednesday. Join us this Friday, January 29 from 1pm to 2pm for our Zero Waste Webinar. We will be covering what Zero-Waste is and things you can do to lower your waste to minimize it being sent to landfill and our oceans.

We will be giving four $50 E-Gift Cards to the Zero Waste Store to help y'all make the switch to low/ minimal / Zero - Waste living. Click here to join us Friday!

Sign the petition to fight climate change Climate change is one of the most profound threats of our time and we are already feeling the impact. For example, last year 4 million acres in California burned from wildfires. Plus, Riverside County has the second worst air quality in the nation! We need to switch from fossil fuels to 100% clean and renewable energy. Our state is on the path to switch to renewable electricity, but not fast enough to stop the worst impacts of climate change.

Sign this petition from CALPIRG Students and join 15,000 other UC students calling on Governor Newsom to speed up our transition to 100% clean energy!

Thank you Highlanders, together we can work on creating a better tomorrow.

Vanessa Gomez-Alvarado

VP of Sustainability

Website: Gcapucr.com

Email:gcapucr at ucr.edu

SIGN OUR PETITION!

Dear Highlanders,

We hope that all of you had a restful winter break, and we wish you the best of luck on the new academic quarter as well as with the new year. Amidst these trying times, our university has undergone numerous budget cuts, many of which have been severe and have impacted the livelihood of students, faculty, and staff alike. It is the duty of campus administrators to ensure they are working quickly, carefully, and efficiently to preserve our university's identity and ensure that all and any funds that can support students reach students. However, this duty has not been met. UCR's status as a “Hispanic Serving Institution,” or HSI, was revoked as a result of UCR administrators and mistakes when filing the appropriate paperwork to renew the status. As a result, our university has lost thousands of dollars that have been allocated to support low-income minority students, particularly those of Hispanic and/or Latino descent, for many years now.

We ask that campus administrators take full responsibility for their actions and publicly inform students of the severity of their "clerical error," and are held accountable. To do this, we need your help to rally together, sign our petition and email campus administrators so they take responsibility for their actions. For more information regarding what an HSI is, how HSI grants have been used by UCR and how we can ensure that our campus administration is transparent, please read a statement from our office which can be accessed here or via https://tinyurl.com/UCRHSI.

In solidarity and community,

The Office of the Vice President of Campus Internal Affairs - Diversity Council

UC STUDENTS OF COLOR CONFERENCE THIS WEEKEND!

Highlanders, ASUCR External is excited to be working with the UC Student Association to host a remote version of our oldest organizing space: The Students of Color Conference. On the eve of turning 50 years old in the middle of a pandemic, our systemwide advocacy efforts have never been more important.

In order to promote equity and fight for racial justice issues, we welcome your attendance at the 2021 UC SOCC, being hosted Jan 30 & 31. The conference is free to attend, ASUCR will be working to provide grocery cards to our delegates, and UCSA is lining up a phenomenal series of speakers and workshops for our theme: The Seeds of Hope: Finding Resilience, Resistance and Revolution. Apply before this Thursday, Jan 28 at bit.ly/SOCC2021.

Vincent Rasso | He/Him/His

Vice President of External Affairs

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

ELECTIONS – CANDIDACY FILING OPEN NOW!

Hey Highlanders! Did you know that filing for candidacy is now OPEN? Check out the ASUCR Elections website to see our Candidacy Packet and follow us on Instagram @asucr_elections for more information! Next week we will be having a giveaway for 2 $100 gift cards as part of our bi-weekly giveaways, so be sure to join us!

Check out this year's Candidacy Manual with helpful information from this year's officers! As always, feel free to email me asucrelections at ucr.edu with any questions! We can't wait to see who files for candidacy in 2021.

Lama Yassine (She/Her/Hers)

ASUCR Elections Director 2020-2021

Associated Students, UC Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)