[Students] Network Carrier Issue Affecting NetID Authentication via SMS

UCR Information Technology Solutions its at ucr.edu
Thu May 27 15:06:58 PDT 2021

Dear Highlander Community,

It has come to our attention that campus users are currently unable to
authenticate their identity via SMS text code when prompted to log into a
secure UCR system. We are currently investigating the issue and it appears
to be a problem with the major network carriers, including Verizon, AT&T,
T-mobile, and Metro.

*We encourage all campus users who have not done so already to set up the
free DUO mobile application on their smartphone or tablet instead of using
SMS text codes.* To do this, users will need to log into MyAccount, manage
their mobile device(s), and follow the instructions for downloading and
setting up the application. Once installed, identity can be verified with
the push of a button. Please view this Knowledge Base article
<https://ucrsupport.service-now.com/ucr_portal/?id=kb_article&sys_id=5f841cb11b0b6010453e7592cd4bcb61>
for step-by-step instructions.

Users who do not have a smartphone device or tablet will need to call the
BearHelp help desk directly and request a temporary passcode be added to
their account. This passcode can be used to authenticate one's identity
until the network carrier issue is resolved. BearHelp can be reached at
951-827-4848.

Please visit techalerts.ucr.edu, where we will continue to keep campus
updated on the status of this issue until it is resolved.

In IT Together,

Information Technology Solutions

University of California, Riverside

ITS.UCR.EDU <https://its.ucr.edu/>
[image: UCR-ITS-Logo_Riv_signature.jpg]
*Please Note: This email account is not monitored by ITS staff. If you
require technical support, please take one of the following actions: *

   - Submit a support ticket
   <https://ucrsupport.service-now.com/ucr_portal/?id=sc_cat_item&sys_id=d10c39ee0f348300138942bce1050e8b>
   if you need to report an IT problem to BearHelp
   - Submit a request
   <https://ucrsupport.service-now.com/ucr_portal/?id=ucr_sc_home> for an
   IT project, service, or service enhancement
   - Browse the ITS Knowledge Base
   <https://ucrsupport.service-now.com/ucr_portal?id=kb_view2&kb=de6fdb4d37800f00a2e983dcb3990e7b>
   for self-help articles
   - Browse and download course software
   <https://ucrsupport.service-now.com/ucr_portal?id=sc_category&catalog_id=3a53ea7e1b691c10eab58734ec4bcba0>
   from the Student Software Catalog
   - For live support, you can contact the BearHelp helpdesk during normal
   business hours (M-F, 8am-5pm) at 951-827-4848