[Students] ASUCR Announcements for 11/30/2022

Brendan OBrien brendan.obrien at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 30 08:37:59 PST 2022

ASUCR INVITATION: JOIN US FOR OUR LAST SENATE MEETING OF THE QUARTER!

Happy Week 10 Highlanders!

Please join us for our last Senate Meeting<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lUdZQZwdwMhPepbUOrVAWWHOIVe3na2WXDAN_YBy9S8/edit?usp=share_link> of the quarter, this Wednesday (Nov. 30), at 6:30pm in the ASUCR Senate Chambers (HUB 221)! For more information about the previous Senate Meeting, please refer to this link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1klhqHLpSucDhFmuvn9lTvzsTUvCaMCgW1qwab9leYl4/edit?usp=share_link>.

If you would like to voice a concern to ASUCR or speak during this week's meeting, please fill out this sign-up sheet<https://forms.gle/GgkVnt4Ww1S7TKHZ6> before the Senate Meeting! Feel to reach out if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President
asucrevp at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrevp at ucr.edu>

--------

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT

Hello Highlanders!

We are looking for passionate students interested in being the Ethnic and Gender Programs Liaison or sitting as committee members on the Ethnic and Gender Programs Advisory Committee. If you are interested, the link to apply can be found HERE<https://forms.gle/bKuBcA8432NQBoB5A>.

If you have any questions, or concerns, feel free to reach out!

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President

asucrevp at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrevp at ucr.edu>

--------

>From the Office of the Personnel

Hello UCR Students,

For the past three months, the people of Iran courageously stand united against an oppressive theocratic government. While this movement in Iran has held strong, the Iranian people want their voices to be heard on an international level. For those of us who are so fortunate to live in a country that respects freedom and personal choice, we are the Iranian people’s biggest dream and their best hope.

We hope that everyone in our UCR community will stand with the Iranian people and join their fight for freedom. Our ASUCR Women's Rights and Equity Committee and UCR Iranian alumni Nika (ncheg001 at ucr.edu<mailto:ncheg001 at ucr.edu>) and Farzaneh (ftale001 at ucr.edu<mailto:ftale001 at ucr.edu>) have compiled an informational doc<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UvolsIOK0oDeyNSyQTU_Rr9YUR9R1uFOvRyCYh00PrA/edit?usp=sharing> about the current situation in Iran to bring awareness to the revolution.

Below are some action items and ways our UCR students, faculty, and community can support the Iranian Revolution.

Actionable items for UC system:

*In reference to resolution<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fl_f9syKYesVc10EVfr3RSA6B5xwWJFIcngIyWjpWZQ/edit?usp=sharing> ASUCR passed on November 2nd

ASUCR and community members on campus are working towards:

  *   Implementing an application fee waiver. We are proposing a fee waiver for our International students in Iran

  *   Extending the deadline for UC applications

  *   Allotting more time for online based tests

  *   Accepting unofficial transcripts as staff have been impacted by events

  *   Getting a statement of acknowledgement from Chancellors and utilize their lobbying power

  *   Collaborating with other UC Associated Student governments

What can we do to support?

  *   Email senators and representatives (some examples below)

     *   2Mayor at riversideca.gov<mailto:2Mayor at riversideca.gov>

     *   https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me

     *   https://www.speaker.gov/contact

     *   https://www.padilla.senate.gov/contact/contact-form/

  *   Follow these nonprofits and organizations to learn more and support to help the spread:

     *   @iranian.students.ca<http://iranian.students.ca/>, @irantoday_org, @middleeastmatters, @iraniandiasporacollective, @persianswithpurpose, @parsequality

  *   Signing petitions and voting in candidates (no JCPOA negotiation)

  *   Engaging with the news, knowledge, hope every student knows more about what’s happening in Iran to support the revolution

Thank you for your time and hope all of you have a wonderful rest of the quarter. Join us to empower and uplift the Iranian community!

Best,

Ankita Ahluwalia (aahlu004 at ucr.edu<mailto:aahlu004 at ucr.edu>)

ASUCR Personnel Director

-----

FROM THE VICE PRESIDENT OF SUSTAINABILITY

Hi Highlanders,

GCAP wishes you have had a great quarter so far. With finals approaching, we wish you the best of luck. This week, GCAP has a few ways for students to get involved with sustainability and water safety.

Our GCAP Brita Filter Exchange Program is continuing this week. You can bring your Brita filter and exchange it for a new one anytime between 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM at the ASUCR office (Located on the second floor of the HUB). Place your used Brita filter in our GCAP Brita Box. Feel free to exchange your Brita filter at tabling on Wednesdays from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

We are also excited to announce our Winter Shuttle Service taking place at the end of week 11. We will be transporting students from Pentland Hills to the Ontario Airport on 12/10 at 7 AM and 10:30 AM. This service is FREE and available for all undergraduate students. To sign up go to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/469656935537

Learn more about our upcoming events on our Instagram (@gcapucr). If you have any questions, please reach out to asucrgcap at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrgcap at ucr.edu>.

Best,

Alondra Martinez

Vice President of Sustainability

-------
>From the Office of the ASUCR Executive Vice President

ASUCR Senate Internship Program

Hello Highlanders,

I hope you are all having a great fall quarter. We are currently looking for passionate students to join ASUCR as Senate Interns. As a Senate Intern you will have the opportunity to be mentored by a current Senator to write legislation, organize events, and learn more about our student government. Applications<https://forms.gle/Fj5TEk3Gtqt8uNzv8> are currently open and are accepting applicants on a rolling basis.
Application Link: https://forms.gle/Fj5TEk3Gtqt8uNzv8

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President
asucrevp at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrevp at ucr.edu>

-----

>From the Office of the Student Voice Committee Vice-Chair

COMPLETE POLL AND WIN GIFT CARDS!

Hello Highlanders!

The Student Voice Committee is giving away 4 $20 Target giftcards! For a chance to win, please complete the following Dining Services Poll. All students are encouraged to complete this poll!

This poll was created to better understand how UCR students feel about the quality of dining services and what changes students would like to see. The link to the poll can be found here: https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_efwzTpqPo2fLNbg

If you have any additional survey suggestions or ideas, let us know by filling out the SVC Survey Request Form: https://forms.gle/NHdnEicprbzsspkQ8<https://forms.gle/NHdnEicprbzsspkQ8>

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at asucrsvc at ucr.edu<mailto:asucrsvc at ucr.edu>.

BRENDAN O'BRIEN (he/him/his)

Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Highlander Union Building (HUB Operations)

Interim Executive Director, Associated Students of UCR

University of California, Riverside

900 University Ave.

HUB 353

Riverside, CA 92521

Phone: (951) 827-7859  |  Email: brendan.obrien at ucr.edu<mailto:brendan.obrien at ucr.edu>

Website: hub.ucr.edu | Twitter: @ucrhub

[cid:d7ea1ff9-8301-45fc-b227-62d1b93bf1d8]