[Students] UCR Principles of Community

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Mon Oct 3 11:05:17 PDT 2022

Dear UCR Community:

As we embark on a new academic year, we invite you to review and reflect on the UCR Principles of Community, a written declaration of our shared values. These principles are fundamental to a campus environment based on individual growth and mutual respect. They are foundational for UCR’s education, research, and public service missions.

The Principles are more than words; they should describe our actions. UCR is proud to be a welcoming place for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, who represent a wide range of perspectives. We actively seek to create a campus culture that supports and advocates for diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice.
A university requires an environment where students and scholars can freely express ideas and pursue knowledge. Cultural sensitivity and free expression are not exclusive of one another. We support challenging, yet respectful, dialogue among individuals or groups with opposing viewpoints.
Please read the Principles of Community<https://chancellor.ucr.edu/sites/g/files/rcwecm761/files/2019-01/community.pdf> and consider how each of us can embody the values they define.

Sincerely,

Mariam Lam

Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion

Kim A. Wilcox

Chancellor