[Students] Resources for Students Impacted by the Unrest in Iran

deanofstudents at ucr.edu deanofstudents at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 7 09:35:06 PDT 2022

Dear Highlanders,

We are proud of the diverse environment that is UCR. We are home to students, faculty and staff from many communities both domestic and global. The events that are unfolding in Iran have affected many in our community. Following the death of Mahsa Amini, the country of Iran has experienced unrest and even more loss of life. We understand that many in our community have been directly and personally impacted by the events that are unfolding in Iran. Some of our Highlanders may have family in Iran and others may feel that their freedom of expression is restricted due to fear of surveillance from abroad. It saddens me to think of the anxiety you must be feeling about the wellbeing of family and friends as the events in Iran unfold. I want to remind you that our staff and faculty are here for you and can guide you to resources for support.

For Highlanders seeking support, counseling services are available through the UCR Counseling Center<https://counseling.ucr.edu/>. For our international scholars, please visit the UCR International Affairs Office<https://international.ucr.edu/> and The Middle Eastern Student Center (MESC)<https://mesc.ucr.edu/> is also available for support.

UCR is committed to upholding the dignity and human rights of all in our community. I encourage everyone in our community to support one another because this is what we do as Highlanders.

Sincerely,

Christine Mata, Ph.D.

Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs

Dean of Students

University of California, Riverside

christine.mata at ucr.edu<mailto:christine.mata at ucr.edu>

Pronouns: She, Her, Hers<https://out.ucr.edu/pronouns-matter>

[cid:d42e3ab7-255d-42f1-9cf5-e7fe21f576cc]