[Students] DOS Welcome Message

Deanofstudents deanofstudents at ucr.edu
Wed Sep 21 11:44:14 PDT 2022

Dear UCR Students,

I am excited to officially welcome you to Fall Quarter 2022 at the University of California, Riverside (UCR)! My name is Dr. Christine Mata, Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Students at UCR.

The beginning of the academic year is always an exciting time, but it is important to acknowledge that this year will be like no other. We are in full swing and back to in-person activities this academic year! For those of you who are returning, welcome back and for our incoming class, welcome to our beautiful campus!

In order to navigate successfully, it is important that you receive information to support your success. My hope is that this message serves as a resource on the expectations we have of you. In addition, I would like to emphasize the resources available to aid you in a successful academic year. I want to ensure that you have the necessary information to make good decisions, keep yourself and each other safe.

Free Speech
Our university values free speech and expression. These are vital values to our campus community. As a student you will be expected to engage in challenging dialogue that includes opinions that challenge and encourage debate, inquiry and action. This is part of the growth process as a student. Although this experience is one aspect of student development and growth, it is necessary to engage in the process safely, respectfully and in alignment with our Standards of Conduct<https://conduct.ucr.edu/policies/standards-of-conduct>. I encourage you to review the UCR Free Speech website<https://freespeech.ucr.edu/> for resources and answers to your questions.

Standards of Conduct for Students
The Standards of Conduct apply to all UCR students. The Standards prohibit behaviors including academic misconduct, disruption, harassment, disorderly conduct, and misuse of university computers or electronic resources. Failure to abide by guidance and processes issued by UCR programs and officials may be considered violations of the Standards. Visit Student Conduct and Academic Integrity Programs<https://conduct.ucr.edu/> for a review of the Standards of Conduct<https://conduct.ucr.edu/policies/standards-of-conduct>.

Students who are living on-campus can review the Student Conduct Policies Handbook by visiting Residential Life Handbooks and Polices <https://housing.ucr.edu/residential-life/newsletters-handbooks-policies>

Being a Good Neighbor
As a Highlander, you represent UCR both on and off-campus. We ask that you be considerate of your neighbors within the local surrounding community. Our neighbors work and live in the community. In order to continue building positive relationships with our community, we need to be considerate of our off-campus community. You can visit the Dean of Students<https://deanofstudents.ucr.edu/> website for more information on being a Good Neighbor<https://deanofstudents.ucr.edu/good-neighbors>.

Our team of Student Affairs professionals are available to help you make the most out of your experience at UCR. The Office of the AVC/Dean of Students<https://deanofstudents.ucr.edu/> comprises various departments with multiple initiatives and support programs united by one common goal: To provide you with the most enriching UCR student experience possible. Visit the Student Affairs Virtual HUB of Resources<https://studentaffairs.ucr.edu/> to explore the opportunities the Division of Student Affairs has for you.

Remember, as a Highlander you represent our campus community wherever you go. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to deanofstudents at ucr.edu<mailto:deanofstudents at ucr.edu>.

Best Regards,

[cid:image006.png at 01D8CDAF.7824FB10][cid:image007.png at 01D8CDAF.7824FB10]  [cid:image008.png at 01D8CDAF.7824FB10]

Christine Mata, Ph.D.

Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs

Dean of Students