[Students] ASUCR Newsletter for the Week of 2/27

Brendan OBrien brendan.obrien at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 28 16:52:30 PST 2023

ASUCR INVITATION: Join Us For This Wednesday's Senate Meeting

Happy Week 8 Highlanders!

Please join us for our 8th Senate Meeting<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u48T2zBfOryVl00EKFCCqCkcftn4pn_VrSzPCP4ehqE/edit?usp=share_link> of Winter '23, this Wednesday (Mar. 1st), at 7:00pm in the ASUCR Senate Chambers (HUB 221)! For more information about the previous Senate Meeting, please refer to this link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FmcMY8sChOBBOFLfRp6WjR2OoZhybXCFR1ZHxjQArUc/edit?usp=share_link>.

If you would like to voice a concern to ASUCR or speak during this week's meeting, please fill out this sign-up sheet<https://forms.gle/GgkVnt4Ww1S7TKHZ6> before the Senate Meeting! Feel to reach out if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President
asucrevp at ucr.edu

---

APPLY TO BE THE NEXT STUDENT REGENT!

Hello Highlanders!

There is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in getting involved with the UC Board of Regents. You can apply to become a Student Regent! You will get the opportunity to be a voting member of the Regents of the University of California, where you will attend Board and Committee meetings. The role of Student Regent is a two-year position in which one year you will be trained to become the student regent for the following year, and you will serve your student regent term the following year.
The Student Regent Application is now open! The deadline to apply is March 12, 2023. Applicants must include an updated resume and an essay. For more information, please click the link below. We wish you the best of luck in the application process and can’t wait to see you represent UCR!

https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/_documents/pdf/student_regent_flyer.pdf

Best Regards,
Ricardo Gonzalez (He/Him)

Regents Coordinator

ASUCR Office of External Affairs

asucrgrd at ucr.edu

[cid:37c4c8da-3515-4fc1-8aea-dc820a0157bd]

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE ELECTIONS DIRECTOR

Hi, Highlanders!

Happy Wednesday! Today is the last day to apply for the Elections Committee. Once again the Committee takes on the role of facilitating fair elections and maximizing student voter participation. I highly encourage you all to apply and get involved! More information can be found in the application, but feel free to directly contact me at etrin016 at ucr.edu. I look forward to working with everyone!

Elections Committee Application<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe9JyXl8mo7MPwk_5QQ7gGMHoLLNAnMNbkFAGrVY-9sYjOWJw/viewform?usp=pp_url>
Applications are due: March 1,2023 11:59 PM

Best,
Elizabeth Trinh

---

ELECTIONS APPLICATION NOTICE

Are you interested in representing your student body? If so, I encourage you to run to be apart of ASUCR. Applications are open!

ASUCR Application<https://associatedstudentsucr.seamlessdocs.com/f/brnkii20978j>
Applications are due: March 12, 2023 11:59 PM

---

JOIN ASUCR AND CONGRESSMAN MARK TAKANO FOR A PLATE OF TACOS!

Hello Highlanders!
We are thrilled to announce that we are having congressman Mark Takano visit UCR on March 15th from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM! Please RSVP using the flyer below since there are limited seats available. You will receive confirmation if you were selected on a first come first serve basis and you must present your physical R'Card to be admitted to the event. The location will be announced to those who get confirmation of attendance! RSVP soon!

Best Regards,

Angel Renteria (He/Him)

Government Relations Director

ASUCR Office of External Affairs

asucrgrd at ucr.edu

[cid:812f4dcf-9c66-4167-b158-bebde6b3b131]
---

FROM THE CHIEF JUSTICE OF ASUCR

Salutations Highlanders!

OPEN SESSION MEETING
The Judicial Council would like to formally invite you all to our open session meeting, next Tuesday, March 6th, 2023 @ 5pm in the Senate Chambers. Attending the Judicial Council's open session meetings are a great way to stay up to date with all of the latest Judicial news, events and cases. There will be time for public forum and comment at the beginning and end of our meeting. To add an item to our open session agenda, email us and all corresponding guests and documents at asucrjustice at ucr.edu.

REMINDER OF CHIEF JUSTICE OFFICE HOURS
Chief Justice Office hours are every Monday in the ASUCR office from 11am to 12 pm for the duration of the quarter. New Meeting times for Spring Quarter will be updated soon! Check in at the front desk and then stop by the Judicial Office to ask questions, file a case or learn more about our events. Can't make those hours? Feel free to schedule a meeting with the Chief Justice with the link Here<https://calendar.app.google/3V2epsiNDPMAUPTM6>!

LAW WEEK 2023 (APRIL 17TH-20TH)
Mark your calendars, our second annual Law Week event will be April 17th-20th! Be prepared for more guest speakers, more networking opportunities and more giveaway items! More information coming soon! Follow us on Instagram for sneak peeks and countdowns.

Follow our Instagram @asucrjudical for more information and to stay up to date with all Judicial decisions!

Best,
Alexandra Arias (she/her)
Chief Justice | ASUCR Judicial Council
Associate Justice 2021-22 | ASUCR Judicial Council
Schedule Meeting Here <https://calendar.app.google/3V2epsiNDPMAUPTM6> | asucrjustice at ucr.edu

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF ASUCR EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Hello Highlanders!

Highlander Action Committee Applications are now open! The committee serves to promote student activism at UCR by organizing and supporting grassroots projects and initiatives. Our mission aims to create coalitions with student programs & campus organizations, as well as community nonprofits to take action on a wide range of student, community, and system-wide issues, highlighting campaigns like Racial Justice Now, SEED, and UCweVote.

General member application can be found at  Committee Member Application<https://forms.gle/3vpodvp4CJgA9WQ66>. (THERE IS NO DEADLINE FOR GENERAL MEMBERSHIP!) We will be sending out emails based on the application regardings meeting updates and events.

Our general meetings will be every Monday from 7PM-8PM on ZOOM LINK for HAC Weekly Meetings (will be used throughout winter quarter)<https://ucr.zoom.us/j/92440660827>

Lastly, please join our GroupMe HERE<https://web.groupme.com/join_group/87987272/xBtLrD2V> (https://web.groupme.com/join_group/87987272/xBtLrD2V) to keep in touch with all committee happenings and your fellow members! Drop a hello and brief introduction, and feel free to contact us if you need any help navigating the platform. Also, follow us on Instagram @ucrhac for all the latest updates and event notices!

The Office of External Affairs is looking for a Racial Justice Now Coordinator and UC We Vote Coordinator. The Racial Justice Now Coordinator's role for this year's campaign is to uplift and support the Opportunity for All Campaign along with advocating for our DACA students. The UC We Vote Coordinator's role for this year is to advocate that our administration have a non-Penalizing Election Day so students are able to miss class to vote without being penalized.

Interested? Apply<https://forms.gle/dbUDy537q4DEvX8D8> Now. Both positions offer a $500 stipend.

---

JOIN THE LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY COMMITTEE!

Hello Highlanders!

Do you see yourself representing UCR students in the nation's capitol, the State Capitol, or Riverside City Hall? You will be able to represent UCR students in all these spaces if you join the Legislative Advocacy Committee (formerly known as the Lobby Corps committee) as part of the ASUCR Office of External Affairs, no experience needed! Wel train all of our members and offer them the proper support and resources so they can be well-versed on legislative text and legislative processes. We get to meet with legislators at a local, state, and federal level, and we represent not only UCR, but students from the University of California, and our respective identities. University students should have a say in decisions and legislation that directly affects them, and by joining this committee you will be able to make impactful influences on legislators and decision making institutions. This year we are excited to announce that we will be focusing a handful of exciting campaigns revolving around housing, disability justice, divestment from the 30 meter telescope in Mauna Kea, and many more! Join our committee by using the link below! We accept applications on a rolling basis. Attendance is important, the more you attend our meetings, you will have a higher chance to be selected to lobby in person in Sacramento and/or Washington D.C. What are you waiting for? Apply today! You are also welcome to join us on Tuesdays in HUB 269 in odd number weeks!

Link: https://bit.ly/JoinASUCRGR

WE ACCEPT NEW MEMBERS ALL QUARTER!

---

BRENDAN O'BRIEN (he/him/his)

Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Highlander Union Building (HUB Operations)

Interim Executive Director, Associated Students of UCR

University of California, Riverside

900 University Ave.

HUB 353

Riverside, CA 92521

Phone: (951) 827-7859  |  Email: brendan.obrien at ucr.edu<mailto:brendan.obrien at ucr.edu>

Website: hub.ucr.edu | Twitter: @ucrhub

[cid:64bfe08c-08ee-4496-8e69-97a511cf80e3]