[Students] Shooting in Monterey Park

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 23 14:57:17 PST 2023

Dear Campus Community,

I join the UC Riverside community in expressing our shock and heartbreak at the shooting in Monterey Park that claimed 11 lives and wounded at least 10 others.

It’s tragic and unacceptable that mass shootings have become so commonplace in our society.

This tragedy hits even closer to home as it took place less than an hour from our campus at a celebration of the Lunar New Year.

We stand with the members of our Asian, Asian American, and Pacific Islander community and pledge our support and solidarity during this time of sorrow and grief.

Students who need mental health support may contact our Counseling and Psychological Services<https://counseling.ucr.edu/> team at 951-827-5331.

Students may also contact Asian Pacific Student Programs office, which provides a safe, welcoming community for our students. APSP is hosting Lunar New Year programming<https://events.ucr.edu/event/lunar_new_year_festival_1281> this week for our campus.

UCR employees can connect with the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program<https://hr.ucr.edu/employee-resources/faculty-and-staff-assistance-program> for confidential counseling, referrals, and other resources.

Sincerely,

[cid:image005.png at 01D92F3A.FB02E5A0]

Kim A. Wilcox
Chancellor