[Students] ASUCR Newsletter for the Week of 1/23

Brendan OBrien brendan.obrien at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 24 17:02:05 PST 2023

ASUCR INVITATION: Join Us For This Wednesday's Senate Meeting

Happy Week 3 Highlanders!

Please join us for our 3rd Senate Meeting<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h8RurA_Z7S5hSGp1mAcSGJeRGtIROsPkL-T8fH59o5E/edit?usp=share_link> of Winter '23, this Wednesday (Jan. 25), at 7:00pm in the ASUCR Senate Chambers (HUB 221)! For more information about the previous Senate Meeting, please refer to this link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fRRTSl3LLUoPkhR8JFDaBOPMsr4TuhU5wc0fUXIiQj8/edit?usp=share_link>.

If you would like to voice a concern to ASUCR or speak during this week's meeting, please fill out this sign-up sheet<https://forms.gle/GgkVnt4Ww1S7TKHZ6> before the Senate Meeting! Feel to reach out if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President
asucrevp at ucr.edu

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT

Hello Highlanders!

We hope you all are having an amazing week three. The Office of the Executive President is looking for passionate students interested in being this year's Ethnic and Gender Programs Liaison or sitting as committee members on the Ethnic and Gender Programs Advisory Committee. If you are interested, the link to apply can be found HERE<https://forms.gle/aJ8J5XwDaGSscC8v7>.

The Office of the Executive Vice President is excited to announce we are accepting applications for this year's Events Director. If you are interested, you can apply with this LINK<https://forms.gle/SVquwhMk9Sf9iqRe6>. No prior experience is necessary!

If you have any questions, or concerns, feel free to reach out!

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President

asucrevp at ucr.edu

__________________________

FROM THE OFFICE OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Hello Highlanders!

Do you see yourself representing UCR students on Capitol Hill in Washington D.C., the State Capitol in Sacramento, or even Riverside City Hall? You will be able to do this in all these spaces if you join the Legislative Advocacy Committee (formerly known as Lobby Corps committee) as part of the ASUCR Office of External Affairs, no experience needed! We train all of our members and offer them the proper support and resources so they can be well-versed on legislative text and legislative processes. We get to meet with legislators at the local, state, and federal levels, and we represent not only UCR, but students from the University of California, and our respective identities. University students should have a say in decisions and legislation that directly affects them, and by joining this committee you will be able to make impactful influences on legislators and decision-making institutions.

This year we are excited to announce that we will be focusing on a handful of exciting issue areas such as equitable/affordable student housing disability justice, divestment from the 30-meter telescope in Mauna Kea, and many more! Join our committee by using the link below! We accept applicants on a rolling basis. You are also welcome to join us at HUB 269 bi-weekly from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM for our committee meetings where we can sign you up on the spot! Attendance is important, the more you attend our meetings, you will have a higher chance to be selected to lobby in person in Sacramento and/or Washington D.C.

If you cannot make it at that time, we offer zoom options available as well so you can participate and engage in the space! We also offer weekly Legislative Trainings in the ASUCR office HUB 202 in the conference room Fridays from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM. We also have a board position of County Supervisors coordinator that is available so please reach out if you have experience in Local Government and are passionate about this. If you have any questions about the committee or position available, please email: asucrgrd at ucr.edu

What are you waiting for? Apply today!

Link: https://bit.ly/JoinASUCRGR

FROM THE OFFICE OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS AND GCAP

We are excited to announce that we will be hosting a rally in opposition to the UC's investment in the Thirty Meter Telescope Project (TMT) on Mauna Kea.

The UC is set to invest nearly 111 Million dollars by 2024 in a project that directly harms the Indigenous communities in Hawaii and their land, sea, and air. These communities are in direct opposition to this project and the UC is set on breaking ground on this extremely harmful project. We are holding this event to encourage students to sign the petition AND write a letter to the UC Regents urging them to divest in TMT. It is up to us as students to continue pressuring the UC to divest from this project where so much money has and could still be wasted and instead reinvest those funds back into our own UC, local, and Indigenous communities.

We will be raffling off multiple $75 gift cards and other cool prizes to all students who attend the rally! More details on the specifics of the raffle to come on @asucrexternal and @gcapucr soon! Keep an eye out!

The rally will take place on Wednesday, February 1st, 2023 from 9am-2pm @ the Bell Tower  Look for the ASUCR tent! We'll see you there Highlanders!

Genevieve Ortiz | (she/her)
B.A. Sociology '24 | University of California, Riverside
Director of Communications | ASUCR External Affairs
Co-Campus Organizing Director | UC Student Association
Alumni, Marketing & PR Coordinator | Kesem at UC Riverside
Vice President Elect | Sigma Pi Alpha Beta Chapter
For scheduling, please contact gorti011 at ucr.edu

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Happy Wednesday folks!

UCR’s student chapter of the nationwide Cops Off Campus Coalition will have its founding meeting next Tuesday, January 31st, at 7:00 PM! See the flier below and scan the QR code to register if you’re interested in a community oriented space that aims to practice abolition and make campus feel safer for everybody.

Warmly,

Alejandra Olvera

ASUCR External Affairs

Racial Justice Now! Coordinator

[cid:5352d401-812a-45b8-9bfd-a9f944cf2c95]

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT

Dear Students,

The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) recently found out about the potential discontinuation of dental services that will be provided for students on campus once the new Student Health and Counseling Center for Fall 2023 is completed. We are currently in the process of gathering more student support and garnering awareness regarding this issue. We aim that with enough support from both undergraduate and graduate students, our concerns will prove how important dental services on campus are to the wellbeing and safety of students. Please consider signing this petition<https://forms.gle/uMCAs74vzS3eNrYi7> to make your voices heard and show your support for dental services to remain on campus!

In Solidarity,

Myra Usmani
SHAC Chair 2020-2023
ASUCR Executive Vice President

Roseanne Rosenthal
SHAC Graduate Student Representative
GSA GSHIP Officer

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE

Hello Highlanders!

I hope you are all doing well. As you may know, Legislative Review Committee meetings for the Winter 2023 quarter are officially being held on Fridays from 12 PM - 1 PM. Therefore, if you are interested in submitting any legislation for review, please be sure to do so before 9 AM each Friday. All legislation should be submitted to the asucrprotempore at ucr.edu email address. After your submission is received, you will be sent a google invite including the Zoom link to the meeting. Finally, please be sure to have at least one of the primary authors present in order to present your legislation as the committee can not pass legislation that does not have representation. Thank you all in advance for your time and understanding!

Best,

Aalani Richardson

---

Aalani Richardson

2022-2023 President Pro Tempore

Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside

E-mail: arich058 at ucr.edu

Website: www.ASUCR.ucr.edu<http://www.asucr.ucr.edu/>

---
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE SCHOOL OF PUBLIC POLICY SENATOR

SPP Undergraduate Town Hall
Interested in what's happening at the UCR School of Public Policy? Please join SPP Senator Sean Nguyen in an open conversation with SPP Dean Mark Long! Food and raffle opportunities will be provided.

When: Tuesday, February 7th at 10:00 AM
Where: HUB 221 (ASUCR Senate Chambers)

Want to ask a question during the Town hall? Submit questions here: https://forms.gle/U2oBDMRRsd23T4ff7

Know What You Owe in Student Loans Workshop

Please join SPP Senator Sean Nguyen, CHASS Senator Jules Yang, and UCR's Financial Wellness Program in learning more about the Student Loan Repayment Process. This workshop provides a comprehensive and stress-relieving overview of the loan repayment process.  We will examine loan exit requirements, knowing your loan amounts, the repayment process, and more.  Specifically, this workshop examines different repayment plans, consolidation and loan forgiveness programs provided by the federal government. In addition, the workshop will discuss post-graduation life events including entering the workforce with a salary/benefits discussion.

Food will be provided!

When: February 1st, 2023 at 1:00 PM
Where: HUB 268

---

>From the Office of the Personnel

Hello UCR students,
Do you see an issue on campus you'd like to solve? Do you have an idea to empower our UCR students? If you answered yes to any of these questions, please fill out this Anonymous feedback form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdd-2Q0FEfJI8AfxVrNDKJBaRRGPQNBSW2lXLBajcLrjZPHpg/viewform?usp=sf_link> so we can better support you. We're here to empower you so please don't hesitate to fill out this form and reach out!

Best,
Ankita Ahluwalia (aahlu004 at ucr.edu)

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE LABOR RELATIONS COMMITTEE

The Labor Relations Committee continues to look for potential board members. This includes coordinators and general board members. Position details are included in the App. If you are interested in learning more about labor organization and how to impact the undergraduate worker experience, be sure to apply within the link below, deadlines have been extended to week 4 Wednesday, February 1st. If you have any questions regarding applications, be sure to email me as well.

Apply HERE<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zGNVxvsbs45zj2hEA9hg_eCnksl0DhDFduQ3NKDMw-c/edit>

Sincerely,

George Jimenez

LRC Director

---

BRENDAN O'BRIEN (he/him/his)

Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Highlander Union Building (HUB Operations)

Interim Executive Director, Associated Students of UCR

University of California, Riverside

900 University Ave.

HUB 353

Riverside, CA 92521

Phone: (951) 827-7859  |  Email: brendan.obrien at ucr.edu<mailto:brendan.obrien at ucr.edu>

Website: hub.ucr.edu | Twitter: @ucrhub

[cid:942580b1-df65-4be3-b7fa-5851502ebe79]