[Students] ASUCR Newsletter for Week of 3/6/2023

Brendan OBrien brendan.obrien at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 7 16:57:40 PST 2023

ASUCR INVITATION: Join Us For This Wednesday's Senate Meeting

Happy Week 9 Highlanders!

Please join us for our 9th Senate Meeting<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xz2PIzubiKhmEKryBGG9oNvbLtRnE9ZjMbPz2zpIDaE/edit?usp=sharing> of Winter '23, this Wednesday (Mar. 8th), at 7:00pm in the ASUCR Senate Chambers (HUB 221)! For more information about the previous Senate Meeting, please refer to this link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FmcMY8sChOBBOFLfRp6WjR2OoZhybXCFR1ZHxjQArUc/edit?usp=sharing>.

If you would like to voice a concern to ASUCR or speak during this week's meeting, please fill out this sign-up sheet<https://forms.gle/GgkVnt4Ww1S7TKHZ6> before the Senate Meeting! Feel to reach out if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President
asucrevp at ucr.edu

---
>From the Office of the Elections Director

Hello Highlanders!

This Sunday at 11:59 PM is the last day to file for candidacy! Please consider simply submitting an application and getting involved in your student government. There are number of benefits when you're apart of ASUCR like: funding your own programs, helping students gain access to resources, receiving monetary stipends, obtaining access to special parking passes, and so much more! If you're interested in learning more about the position and the benefits, please check the links below. If you have any questions please email me at etrin016 at ucr.edu

When you submit your application be sure to fill both of these forms: candidate application<https://associatedstudentsucr.seamlessdocs.com/f/brnkii20978j> and the candidate biography form<https://associatedstudentsucr.seamlessdocs.com/f/8yu3ap329joj>. Good luck!

ASUCR Links:
Elections Code<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o2UN_2_IiNAZdYAEis0Ngyza_-DOF2-Kf6fL6CZ_Snk/edit#> (check if you're eligible to apply)
Stipends for Each Position<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UTfqzhQCUNkz1LXcWicKLErR4SmAN3qiARMMvGsjgrU/edit>
Senator Responcibilities<https://docs.google.com/document/d/170R7Q0D1KUOcqtxfVpkU6WtrKlEBSkfYTXFuXT8-6nA/edit>
Executive Cabinet's Responcibilities<https://asucr.ucr.edu/records/bylaws> (requires one school year of ASUCR experience)
ASUCR's Office Chart <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tn5fKJ2MVcFtBGGauSUBvBCbaJekAHjodKgYO4ShwDI/edit>

---

JOIN THE LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY COMMITTEE!

Hello Highlanders!

Do you see yourself representing UCR students in the nation's capitol, the State Capitol, or Riverside City Hall? You will be able to represent UCR students in all these spaces if you join the Legislative Advocacy Committee (formerly known as the Lobby Corps committee) as part of the ASUCR Office of External Affairs, no experience needed! Wel train all of our members and offer them the proper support and resources so they can be well-versed on legislative text and legislative processes. We get to meet with legislators at a local, state, and federal level, and we represent not only UCR, but students from the University of California, and our respective identities. University students should have a say in decisions and legislation that directly affects them, and by joining this committee you will be able to make impactful influences on legislators and decision making institutions. This year we are excited to announce that we will be focusing a handful of exciting campaigns revolving around housing, disability justice, divestment from the 30 meter telescope in Mauna Kea, and many more! Join our committee by using the link below! We accept applications on a rolling basis. Attendance is important, the more you attend our meetings, you will have a higher chance to be selected to lobby in person in Sacramento and/or Washington D.C. What are you waiting for? Apply today! You are also welcome to join us on Tuesdays in HUB 269 in odd number weeks!

Link: https://bit.ly/JoinASUCRGR

WE ACCEPT NEW MEMBERS ALL QUARTER!

Best Regards,

Angel Renteria (He/Him)

Government Relations Director

ASUCR Office of External Affairs

asucrgrd at ucr.edu

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF EXTERNAL's LABOR RELATIONS

In collaboration with UAW and USLAC, ASUCR External's Labor Relations would like to invite all student workers to participate next Friday in our, “Exercise your Rights, Express Grievances”, a workshop where we will take a historical overview of labor organization and youth lead political revolutions in the past two centuries. Afterward, there will be a section to debrief common workplace violations and clarify the process of filling out a report. Have an experience about working on campus you want to share? Attendants and participants will enter for one of three $50 Target gift cards! Food and refreshments will be provided!

March 10th, from 2-3:30 P.M, HUB Highlander Union 268, unions within the Riverside area are actively looking to hear about the student worker experience; if you'd like to get more involved and be connected with potential resources this an excellent opportunity to hear more about local labor organizations!

Abby Choy (she/her/hers)
CNAS Senator
achoy012 at ucr.edu

[cid:5975b3f9-a263-4cdf-bc82-c8a67cfc4cb1]

---

JOIN ASUCR AND CONGRESSMAN MARK TAKANO FOR A PLATE OF TACOS!

Hello Highlanders!
We are thrilled to announce that we are having congressman Mark Takano visit UCR on March 15th from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM! Please RSVP using the flyer below since there are limited seats available. You will receive confirmation if you were selected on a first come first serve basis and you must present your physical R'Card to be admitted to the event. The location will be announced to those who get confirmation of attendance! RSVP soon!

asucrgrd at ucr.edu

[cid:5751213a-9135-423a-85e1-917610ac7ff7]

---

PAID POSITION OFFERED FOR UNDERGRAD STUDENTS FROM THE ASUCR OFFICE OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

The Office of External Affairs is looking for a Racial Justice Now Coordinator and UC We Vote Coordinator. The Racial Justice Now Coordinator's role for this year's campaign is to uplift and support the Opportunity for All Campaign along with advocating for our DACA students. The UC We Vote Coordinator's role for this year is to advocate that our administration have a non-Penalizing Election Day so students are able to miss class to vote without being penalized.

Interested? Apply<https://forms.gle/dbUDy537q4DEvX8D8> Now. Both positions offer a $500 stipend. The deadline is March 17th at 11:59 PM.

In Solidarity,

Amina Hearns (she/her)
ASUCR Vice President of External Affairs

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

---

TRAVEL OPPORTUNITY FOR OUR BLACK SCHOLARS FROM THE ASUCR OFFICE OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

If you are an Afrikan/Black student looking for the opportunity to push for transformative policy change relative to racial justice and educational equity, develop your lobby and advocacy skills, and network with elected officials in the state’s capitol… look no further!

The 5th annual Black Student Lobby Day is being held on April 11th, 2023! It is a day-long program bringing together Black students from across California colleges and universities to network, develop lobbying skills, and push a political agenda that works in the best interest of Black students. It is organized by the Afrikan Black Coalition<https://www.afrikanblackcoalition.org/aboutabc> and sponsored by UC Student Association<https://ucsa.org/about/>.

Having student voices is so important for state leaders and legislators to know how policies impact Black students. Take advantage of this fully funded opportunity to go to Sacramento! All travel and lodging are covered by your ASUCR Vice President of External Affairs office.

The deadline to register is March 10th: https://tinyurl.com/BSLD2K23

For further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Refilwe Gqajela from the ABC Afrikan Black Coalition politicalorganizing at ablackcoalition.org

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

---

APPLY TO BE THE NEXT STUDENT REGENT!

Hello Highlanders!

There is an excellent opportunity for anyone interested in getting involved with the UC Board of Regents. You can apply to become a Student Regent! You will get the opportunity to be a voting member of the Regents of the University of California, where you will attend Board and Committee meetings. The role of Student Regent is a two-year position in which one year you will be trained to become the student regent for the following year, and you will serve your student regent term the following year.
The Student Regent Application is now open! The deadline to apply is March 12, 2023. Applicants must include an updated resume and an essay. For more information, please click the link below. We wish you the best of luck in the application process and can’t wait to see you represent UCR!

https://regents.universityofcalifornia.edu/_documents/pdf/student_regent_flyer.pdf

Best Regards,
Ricardo Gonzalez (He/Him)

Regents Coordinator

ASUCR Office of External Affairs

asucrgrd at ucr.edu

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT PRO TEMPORE

Hello Highlanders!

I hope you are all doing well. As you may know, Legislative Review Committee meetings for the Winter 2023 quarter are officially being held on Fridays from 12 PM - 1 PM. Therefore, if you are interested in submitting any legislation for review, please be sure to do so before 9 AM each Friday. All legislation should be submitted to the asucrprotempore at ucr.edu email address. As a reminder, please remember to hyperlink any and all sources when writing legislation that requires it. Click here<https://www.canva.com/design/DAFbzEPbo60/03jriX01V2CnW_1l-Jf7XQ/view?utm_content=DAFbzEPbo60&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink> for an infographic on how to hyperlink. After your submission is received, you will be sent a google invite including the Zoom link to the meeting. Finally, please be sure to have at least one of the primary authors present in order to present your legislation as the committee can not pass legislation that does not have representation. Thank you all in advance for your time and understanding!

Best,

Aalani Richardson

2022-2023 President Pro Tempore

Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside

E-mail: arich058 at ucr.edu

Website: www.ASUCR.ucr.edu<http://www.asucr.ucr.edu/>

---

>From the Office of the President

Hello Highlanders!
The Student Voice Committee and ASUCR President, Mufida Assaf, are conducting a survey for all Bannockburn residents! We want to learn more about your experiences living in Bannockburn and what changes students would like to see. All previous and present Bannockburn residents are encouraged to complete this survey! The survey can be found here<https://ucriverside.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/previewId/45e2a5ac-4d2b-4bed-b117-0eafd13b1097/SV_eVPzx5JXKO7rYc6?Q_CHL=preview&Q_SurveyVersionID=current>.

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF ASUCR EXTERNAL AFFAIRS : JOIN HIGHLANDER ACTION COMMITTEE

Hello Highlanders!

The Highlander Action Committee is now accepting applications! As a committee, we strive to promote student activism at UCR by organizing and supporting grassroots projects and initiatives. Our mission is to create coalitions with student programs, campus organizations, and community nonprofits to take action on a wide range of student, community, and system-wide issues. We highlight campaigns like Racial Justice Now, SEED, and UCweVote.

If you're interested in becoming a general member, please visit Committee Member Application<https://forms.gle/3vpodvp4CJgA9WQ66>. There is NO DEADLINE for general membership, and we'll be sending out emails regarding meeting updates and events based on your application.

Our general meetings will be held every Monday from 7 PM to 8 PM on Zoom. Please use this link<https://ucr.zoom.us/j/92440660827> for HAC Weekly Meetings. Currently, we're discussing the UCPD RoundTable, a social media campaign, and Earth Day Event.

Lastly, please join our GroupMe HERE<https://web.groupme.com/join_group/87987272/xBtLrD2V> to keep in touch with all committee happenings and your fellow members. Introduce yourself and say hello! If you need any help navigating the platform, don't hesitate to contact us. Also, follow us on Instagram @ucrhac for all the latest updates and event notices!

BRENDAN O'BRIEN (he/him/his)

Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Highlander Union Building (HUB Operations)

Interim Executive Director, Associated Students of UCR

University of California, Riverside

900 University Ave.

HUB 353

Riverside, CA 92521

Phone: (951) 827-7859  |  Email: brendan.obrien at ucr.edu<mailto:brendan.obrien at ucr.edu>

Website: hub.ucr.edu | Twitter: @ucrhub

[cid:45bd5761-f82e-418a-91a6-5952a77e7722]