[Students] ASUCR Newsletter for the Week of March 20th

Brendan OBrien brendan.obrien at ucr.edu
Thu Mar 23 09:26:42 PDT 2023

The next ASUCR Senate Meeting will take place on Wednesday, April 5th at 7pm in the ASUCR Senate Chambers (HUB 221). Enjoy your break!

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

Hello Highlanders!

I hope that everyone's finals are going well. We are disheartened to say the least that the rights of queer folks have constantly been under attack in this country and there have been several bills that have been circulating nationally that inflict their rights. In California, Assembly Bill 1314<https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202320240AB1314> (AB 1314) has been introduced that would require teachers, school staff, and administrators to notify the parent of any student that identifies as a sex that "does not align" with their sex assigned at birth or official documents. This bill is a direct attack to the trans community and fosters an unsafe environment in K-12 education.

ASUCR External Affairs is organizing a Phone Banking and Email Banking event at HUB 260 on April 4th from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Students will collectively reach out to legislators via email and phone calls to demand them to oppose AB 1314. We will provide the necessary background on the bill and email/phone call templates to follow alongside free food and refreshments. Please bring your friends and spread the word!!!

In Solidarity,

Angel Renteria (He/Him)

Government Relations Director

ASUCR Office of External Affairs

[AB 1314 Banking Flyer.jpg]

---

JOIN ASUCR EXTERNAL IN AN ART WALK WITH RIVERSIDE CITY COUNCIL MEMBER CLARISSA CERVANTES!

Hello Highlanders!

I am wishing you all the best during finals and a restful Spring Break! The ASUCR Office of External Affairs' Legislative Advocacy Committee invites you to our event "Art Walk with Riverside City Council Member Clarissa Cervantes". Council Member Cervantes represents Ward 2 of the City of Riverside which is home to UCR. She deeply cares for her community and always ensuring that R'Voices are heard. Council Member Cervantes is a muralist and has a deep passion for art and how it brings our community together.

We are very excited to be able to host an event with her revolving around the theme what R'City does for us alongside how to be civically engaged in city government. This event will be in the form of a discussion and will encompass some questions asked by students and an opportunity for members of the public to ask her questions.

After the discussion, you are invited to join us and Council Member Cervantes in taking the bus from UCR to Downtown Riverside to take part in the City Of Riverside Art Walk.

This event will be on April 6th, 2023. Location will be provided upon confirmation of your RSVP after the deadline of this form closes. Only 50 seats are available.

Any questions or concerns feel free to reach out to ASUCRGRD at UCR.EDU

RSVP by 04/04/2023
RSVP Link: https://tinyurl.com/Cervantesartwalk

FOOD AND SNACKS WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE DISCUSSION

  *   DISCUSSION: 4-5 PM at UCR
  *   ART WALK: 5-8 PM at DOWNTOWN RIVERSIDE

[Clarissa Insta Post.png]

---

JOIN THE LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY COMMITTEE!

Hello Highlanders!

Do you see yourself representing UCR students in the nation's capitol, the State Capitol, or Riverside City Hall? You will be able to represent UCR students in all these spaces if you join the Legislative Advocacy Committee (formerly known as the Lobby Corps committee) as part of the ASUCR Office of External Affairs, no experience needed! Wel train all of our members and offer them the proper support and resources so they can be well-versed on legislative text and legislative processes. We get to meet with legislators at a local, state, and federal level, and we represent not only UCR, but students from the University of California, and our respective identities. University students should have a say in decisions and legislation that directly affects them, and by joining this committee you will be able to make impactful influences on legislators and decision making institutions. This year we are excited to announce that we will be focusing a handful of exciting campaigns revolving around housing, disability justice, divestment from the 30 meter telescope in Mauna Kea, and many more! Join our committee by using the link below! We accept applications on a rolling basis. Attendance is important, the more you attend our meetings, you will have a higher chance to be selected to lobby in person in Sacramento and/or Washington D.C. What are you waiting for? Apply today! You are also welcome to join us on Tuesdays in HUB 269 in odd number weeks!

Link: https://bit.ly/JoinASUCRGR

WE ACCEPT NEW MEMBERS ALL QUARTER!

Best Regards,

asucrgrd at ucr.edu

---

ASUCR is proud to accept applications for the Jeremy Robert Harrison Scholarship Award and the Vincent Del Pizzo Senior Scholarship:

Jeremy Robert Harrison Award

Jeremy Harrison was a student at UC Riverside from 2000-2005. He was active in many areas of campus life. He was a Bear Facts Counselor for two years, an active member in the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, a Student Senator for College of Engineering with Associated Students UCR from 2003-2005, and participated in intramural bowling. He was a Student Representative on the College of Engineering Executive Committee in 2004-2005. Jeremy assisted his fellow students as a Math Study Group Leader in the Learning Center.

Jeremy was known as a friendly, positive and fun-loving individual, who was a very bright and involved student. He passed away on October 20,2005, due to complications of leukemia.  His father established this scholarship in his honor, and it is awarded to a student each year that has displayed outstanding participation in school activities and leadership roles within the campus and community. Click here to learn more about the scholarship and application process.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeLcGj4CgDTkqJ3CINDZK0zZbnpNabAVsiBKzX_o3kZquRJmA/viewform>

Vincent Del Pizzo Senior Scholarship Award

Vincent Del Pizzo was UCR’s Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs for many years.  He was responsible for bringing the fraternities and sororities to the campus, among other things.  He was a highly respected and much loved campus administrator who truly cared about student life and student success.  Because of his outstanding contributions to the campus, the elected ASUCR officers established this scholarship in his honor.  The scholarship was also the first Senior Class Gift established on campus in 1999.  It is awarded to a student each year who shows outstanding academic achievement, has leadership qualities and is involved with the surrounding community as well as campus organizations. Click here to learn more about the scholarship and application process.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLkod3T8ik3vJKusXD5EcbolkJw4x2xh2Pdts5vw3QBzNUtw/viewform>

For more information, please visit asucr.ucr/services/scholarships

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PERSONNEL DIRECTOR

Hello UCR Students!

Please utilize this form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdd-2Q0FEfJI8AfxVrNDKJBaRRGPQNBSW2lXLBajcLrjZPHpg/viewform> to share any anonymous feedback about any issues you see on campus that need to be addressed and any other queries. We hope to create a welcoming and inclusive environment to help you succeed! Please feel free to share any ideas or feedback!

If you have any questions, please reach out to Ankita Ahluwalia (aahlu004 at ucr.edu) -- ASUCR Personnel Director. We're here to empower you and greatly appreciate your feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out. Thank you and take care.

BRENDAN O'BRIEN (he/him/his)

Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Highlander Union Building (HUB Operations)

Interim Executive Director, Associated Students of UCR

University of California, Riverside

900 University Ave.

HUB 353

Riverside, CA 92521

Phone: (951) 827-7859  |  Email: brendan.obrien at ucr.edu<mailto:brendan.obrien at ucr.edu>

Website: hub.ucr.edu | Twitter: @ucrhub

[cid:7eb0eda8-33c3-484c-9bfa-57189f2c7108]