[Ucrfacultyandstaff] UCR Principles of Community

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Mon Oct 19 10:10:41 PDT 2020

Dear UCR Community:

The UCR Principles of Community<https://chancellor.ucr.edu/documents/community.pdf> are a written declaration of our shared values. Each year, we invite everyone in our community to review them and reflect on our commitment to a campus environment based on personal growth, equity, and mutual respect. These principles are fundamental to UCR's education, research, and public service missions.

The Principles are more than words; they should serve as a description of our actions. UCR is proud of being a diverse and welcoming place for students, faculty, staff, and visitors, who represent a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. This year as we have acknowledged the violence and hate suffered in too many ways by vulnerable populations, we recognize the magnitude of the problem our society faces. We also see the opportunity and responsibility to drive positive change through our behavior individually, and as an institution, to ensure that all members of our community can reach their full potential.

At UCR, we are working to combat the barriers to a more inclusive experience. Through the Campus Safety Task Force, Black Student Experience Work Group, and DEI Climate Council, we actively seek to create a culture that promotes, supports, and advocates for diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice at all levels of the University.

A university requires an environment where students and scholars can freely express ideas and pursue knowledge. Respect and free speech and free expression of ideas are not exclusive of one another. We support difficult and challenging, yet respectful, dialogue among individuals or groups with opposing viewpoints.

We ask you to read the Principles of Community<https://chancellor.ucr.edu/documents/community.pdf> and consider how each of us can embody the values they define.

Sincerely,

Mariam Lam<https://profiles.ucr.edu/app/home/profile/mariamb>

Vice Chancellor and Chief Diversity Officer

Kim A. Wilcox<https://profiles.ucr.edu/app/home/profile/kwilcox>

Chancellor