[Ucrfacultyandstaff] Unit 18 Strike Communication

Communications communications at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 16 20:10:30 PST 2021

Dear Colleagues,

The UC-AFT, the union representing some university instructors (specifically, Unit 18 lecturers) has voted to go on strike this Wednesday and Thursday, Nov. 17 and 18, at every campus in the UC system. The strike will impact all aspects of these instructors’ job responsibilities, including lectures, office hours, meeting attendance, and email response.

The University of California remains in negotiations with the union trying to head off this action, and we are hopeful the sides can come to an agreement. However, we are writing to let you know that some instructors may not be at work on Wednesday and Thursday.

You may see some of our colleagues or other members of our campus community on a picket line or protesting on these days.  We ask that all community members, no matter their views, be polite and respectful to one another during this time.

Thanks for your patience as the University continues to work with the union in seeking to finalize a contract.

[cid:image001.png at 01D7DB25.FF3EFD30]
Daniel R. Jeske
Professor of Statistics
Vice Provost of Academic Personnel
President of International Society for Business and Industrial Statistics