[Ucrfacultyandstaff] Chief Campus Counsel Announcement

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:01:07 PST 2022

Dear Campus Community,

I am writing to share news that Chief Campus Counsel David "Dave" Bergquist recently advised me and UC General Counsel Robinson of his decision to retire from UC Riverside at the end of June.

During his time at UCR, Dave worked to build an Office of Legal Affairs rooted in ethical, collaborative, creative, inclusive, responsive, and strategic delivery. He helped shepherd the establishment of our School of Medicine and clinical program, advised on the development of the North District site and several key building projects, and helped advance our Title IX, HR, and Academic Personnel processes to strengthen our campus climate. He further modernized UCR's Legal Affairs infrastructure to ensure fiscal propriety, accountability, and mission-focused delivery.

Moreover, Dave has been a valued member of the UC Legal team since 2002. Prior to his appointment as the UC Riverside Chief Campus Counsel in 2012, Dave spent a decade in the University of California's systemwide Office of the General Counsel and at UCSF Office of Legal Affairs, where he was a leader in construction law and public contracting, and provided dedicated strategic support to UCSF.

Beyond these contributions, Dave has supported UCR through his philanthropy. He is a member of the Watkins Society. And, along with his spouse Nick Trunzo, he established the Trunzo Bergquist Endowed Graduate Student Award Fund.

We will announce details regarding a national search in the near future. Steve Drown, who previously worked as Chief Campus Counsel at UC Davis, will join the Legal Affairs team to provide additional support during a time of transition. Acting under Dave's leadership, Steve will serve as Senior Counsel through June 30, 2022.

Please join me in thanking Dave for his many valued and important contributions, and wishing him great success as he begins his next adventure.

Sincerely,

[cid:image004.png at 01D81DB5.19EC1CE0]

Kim A. Wilcox
Chancellor