[Ucrfacultyandstaff] Campus Update - January 2022

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 31 10:48:56 PST 2022

Dear Campus Community,

For the last few years, January has offered a strange dichotomy. In one way or another, COVID-19 has disrupted the beginning of the year in unpredictable ways. But variability has been countered with constancy. Even when faced with obstacles, our work as a public research university continued. As I am fond of saying, our job at UC Riverside is to create knowledge and share knowledge. In the coming weeks and months, a lineup of inspiring public events provides example of how we fulfill our mission on campus, in Riverside, and in the region. I hope you will join me for these insightful and thought-provoking activities.

Chancellor's Distinguished Lecture & The John A. and Betty C. Moore Science as a Way of Knowing Public Lecture presented by Jennifer Doudna, February 3
To kick things off, 2020 Nobel Laureate Jennifer Doudna will deliver a talk titled, "A CRISPR View of the Genome and Genome Editing" on Thursday, February 3 at 4 p.m. Dr. Doudna is the co-inventor of the genome engineering technology CRISPR, a biochemist at UC Berkeley, and founder of the Innovative Genomics Institute. Her groundbreaking work provides the technology to edit genes, opening opportunity for medical and scientific breakthroughs as well as ethical questions. Learn more about the virtual event and register HERE<https://myadv.ucr.edu/forms/CDL2022JenniferDoudna>.

Writers Week, February 12 and February 14-18
Beginning February 12, UCR's Writers Week, California's longest-running, free literary event returns. Operating as a week of virtual events, the roster features more than 40 notable authors reading and discussing their work. The finale on February 18 celebrates literary giants Sandra Cisneros, Linda Hogan, and Ishmael Reed, who will be honored with the Los Angeles Review of Books (LARB) - UCR Department of Creative Writing Lifetime Achievement Awards and Costo Medals. All events are online, free, and open to the public, captioned and ASL translated. A full schedule and links to register for sessions are available on the Writers Week website<https://writersweek.ucr.edu/>.

Hays Press-Enterprise Lecture, April 19
Save the date! On April 19 at 3:30 p.m., we welcome award-winning journalist and producer Soledad O'Brien. The Hays Press-Enterprise Lecture Series invites a renowned journalist to speak to the campus and broader Riverside community on topics related to news media. More details about the lecture and registration for the virtual event will be forthcoming.

Chicano Student Programs and African Student Programs are turning 50!
In 2022, we celebrate the golden anniversaries of both Chicano Student Programs (CSP) and African Student Programs (ASP). Since their inception in 1972, the staff, students, faculty, and supporters for both ASP and CSP have worked to cultivate community and student success with an increasingly robust list of services, events, and programs. We congratulate both departments on their important work and look forward to finding ways to honor this accomplishment throughout the year. Be sure to check out the feature stories about CSP's and ASP's history in the upcoming issue of UCR Magazine.

Chancellor's Office Hours
All staff and faculty are invited to my next Virtual Open Office Hours, scheduled February 9 from 1-2 p.m. This is an informal group setting in which you can hear what's on my mind and ask your questions. Please register and submit your questions by February 2 HERE<https://ucr.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwocu2qqzspH9B57JnLuUTesVKoecciIDxg>.

I look forward to seeing you on campus and at virtual events in the near future.

Stay healthy,

[cid:image002.png at 01D8168F.B6298B60]

Kim A. Wilcox
Chancellor