[Ucrfacultyandstaff] WSCUC Special Visit outcome

Provost provost at ucr.edu
Fri Jul 22 10:00:46 PDT 2022

The message below is being sent by UCR's Accreditation Liaison Officer, Associate Provost Ken Baerenklau.

Dear Campus Community,

In February, UCR hosted a Special Visit from our regional accreditor, the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC), that focused on topics related to assessment and campus budgeting. I am pleased to report a successful outcome from the visit, thanks to the efforts of numerous faculty and staff who contributed to writing our report and meeting with the visiting team. The full text of the Commission's Action Letter, including both commendations and recommendations for our next accreditation visit in 2026, is available here<https://wasc.ucr.edu/sites/default/files/2022-07/cal_220711_ucr_sv.pdf>.

The 2026 visit will be a full reaffirmation of UCR's accreditation and will include a focus on these topics identified by the visiting team:

  1.  UCR needs to ensure continued progress on the advancements in assessment at the undergraduate and graduate levels, including evidence of student mastery of learning outcomes.
  2.  UCR needs to formalize its list of programs with an established schedule for undergraduate and graduate program review. The campus must ensure that resources continue to be available to support faculty participation.
  3.  UCR must ensure that the core competencies are fully integrated into campus assessment activities.
  4.  Noting that the campus is still operating under the 2010 strategic plan (UCR 2020) and considering changes in the campus and the higher education landscape, UCR needs to adopt a strategic pathway for the current decade.
  5.  UCR needs to continue to improve its budget processes collaboratively and transparently with its continuing commitment to shared governance that was clearly evident

Given our ongoing work in these areas, I expect UCR will be well-positioned for another successful reaccreditation in 2026.

Sincerely,
Ken

Kenneth A. Baerenklau, Ph.D.
Associate Provost and Chief of Staff
Interim Vice Provost and Dean of Undergraduate Education
Professor, School of Public Policy
(951) 827-1126
(951) 827-7942
Executive Assistant: Mona Nelson