[Students] ASUCR Newsletter for the Week of April 10th

Brendan OBrien brendan.obrien at ucr.edu
Wed Apr 12 10:42:17 PDT 2023

ASUCR INVITATION: Join Us For This Wednesday's Senate Meeting

Please join us for our first Senate Meeting<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wsm6b-sm0LI9neCYLyhrp3AJtTdLl9TWljYxIwnv1tE/edit?usp=share_link> of Spring '23, this Wednesday (April 12th), at 7:00pm in the ASUCR Senate Chambers (HUB 221)! For more information about the previous Senate Meeting, please refer to this link<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CdYV4R46YKVKtnxtNBX3wazFaVNoIDLlye_hZmXVlO4/edit?usp=share_link>.

If you would like to voice a concern to ASUCR or speak during this week's meeting, please fill out this sign-up sheet<https://forms.gle/GgkVnt4Ww1S7TKHZ6> before the Senate Meeting! Feel to reach out if you have any questions!

Sincerely,

Myra Usmani (she/her/hers)
Executive Vice President
asucrevp at ucr.edu

---

ASUCR is proud to accept applications for the Jeremy Robert Harrison Scholarship Award and the Vincent Del Pizzo Senior Scholarship:

Jeremy Robert Harrison Award

Jeremy Harrison was a student at UC Riverside from 2000-2005. He was active in many areas of campus life. He was a Bear Facts Counselor for two years, an active member in the Delta Tau Delta fraternity, a Student Senator for College of Engineering with Associated Students UCR from 2003-2005, and participated in intramural bowling. He was a Student Representative on the College of Engineering Executive Committee in 2004-2005. Jeremy assisted his fellow students as a Math Study Group Leader in the Learning Center.

Jeremy was known as a friendly, positive and fun-loving individual, who was a very bright and involved student. He passed away on October 20,2005, due to complications of leukemia.  His father established this scholarship in his honor, and it is awarded to a student each year that has displayed outstanding participation in school activities and leadership roles within the campus and community. Click here to learn more about the scholarship and application process.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeLcGj4CgDTkqJ3CINDZK0zZbnpNabAVsiBKzX_o3kZquRJmA/viewform>

Vincent Del Pizzo Senior Scholarship Award

Vincent Del Pizzo was UCR’s Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs for many years.  He was responsible for bringing the fraternities and sororities to the campus, among other things.  He was a highly respected and much loved campus administrator who truly cared about student life and student success.  Because of his outstanding contributions to the campus, the elected ASUCR officers established this scholarship in his honor.  The scholarship was also the first Senior Class Gift established on campus in 1999.  It is awarded to a student each year who shows outstanding academic achievement, has leadership qualities and is involved with the surrounding community as well as campus organizations. Click here to learn more about the scholarship and application process.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLkod3T8ik3vJKusXD5EcbolkJw4x2xh2Pdts5vw3QBzNUtw/viewform>

For more information, please visit asucr.ucr/services/scholarships

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

JOIN THE LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY COMMITTEE!

Hello Highlanders!

Do you see yourself representing UCR students in the nation's capitol, the State Capitol, or Riverside City Hall? You will be able to represent UCR students in all these spaces if you join the Legislative Advocacy Committee (formerly known as the Lobby Corps committee) as part of the ASUCR Office of External Affairs, no experience needed! Wel train all of our members and offer them the proper support and resources so they can be well-versed on legislative text and legislative processes. We get to meet with legislators at a local, state, and federal level, and we represent not only UCR, but students from the University of California, and our respective identities. University students should have a say in decisions and legislation that directly affects them, and by joining this committee you will be able to make impactful influences on legislators and decision making institutions. This year we are excited to announce that we will be focusing a handful of exciting campaigns revolving around housing, disability justice, divestment from the 30 meter telescope in Mauna Kea, and many more! Join our committee by using the link below! We accept applications on a rolling basis. Attendance is important, the more you attend our meetings, you will have a higher chance to be selected to lobby in person in Sacramento and/or Washington D.C. What are you waiting for? Apply today! You are also welcome to join us on Tuesdays in HUB 269 in odd number weeks!

Link: https://bit.ly/JoinASUCRGR

WE ACCEPT NEW MEMBERS ALL QUARTER!

APPLY FOR UC HILL DAY IN WASHINGTON D.C.

Hey Highlanders! The time has finally come for our yearly trip to Washington DC in which we will be advocating for R'Campus needs at the Federal Government level! The theme for this year is "From the Grassroots to the Hilltops: Connecting Campus and National Power'', and we will be continuing our advocacy efforts from past bills while advocating for new bills! Free transportation and lodging will be provided! Please apply by FRIDAY APRIL 14th, 2023 at 5:00 PM.

Here is the link :
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdL9IjDQO2sa1qA3g9mX1FFHO63nrme27w1p8-6ZuImYzKZqg/viewform?usp=sf_link
[image.png]

Best Regards,

Angel Renteria (He/Him)

Government Relations Director

ASUCR Office of External Affairs

asucrgrd at ucr.edu

Join the Civic Engagement Committee!

Happy Week 2, Highlanders!

Are you interested in getting your voice heard by the UC system, elected officials, and other establishments? Or just become more civically engaged within a community, learn about policies, lead campus initiatives/campaigns, and advocate for student rights? Then the Civic Engagement Committee is just for you!

The Civic Engagement Committee Spring Quarter Application<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDu4XAPvYZxw5ZLc1sLoGs-4EucWs1sbkwUTurxRty-syp0g/viewform?usp=sf_link> is now available to R’students interested in leading UC campus initiatives under the Office of ASUCR's External Affairs. This Quarter, the committee will heavily focus on voter registration and voting information for the 2024 upcoming elections. Our main goal is to increase voter turnout among undergraduates and introduce comprehensive voter education reform to inform students about the influential impacts of being civilly engaged at local and state levels and why it must be utilized by undergraduate students. As a non-partisan representative body, we encourage and welcome students across the political spectrum to come together to address current issues directly impacting college students, such as student debt, expanding campus resources, and much more !!

Civic Engagement is a great way to wield our political power not only as college students but as local constituents of Riverside. Therefore, CEC’s mission is to encourage highlanders to participate in the act of voting and provide opportunities for students to stay civically engaged. Civics is key! Voting is representation!

As a member of CEC, you will be given the opportunity to collab w/ other students, committees, organizations, politicians, etc. You will also be able to participate in academic and non-academic activities. Members are guaranteed to gain volunteering experience.

Did we mention it? Members will also get customized merch!!

No experience is needed!!! Apply Now!

CEC Application <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeDu4XAPvYZxw5ZLc1sLoGs-4EucWs1sbkwUTurxRty-syp0g/viewform?usp=sf_link>

With best regards,

Vivian Herrera (She/Her)

Civic Engagement Director

ASUCR Office of External Affairs

asucrvotes at ucr.edu or vherr027 at ucr.edu<http://vherr027@ucr.edu/>

---

>From the Office of the Elections Director

Hello Highlanders!

Elections season is here and the Elections Committee needs YOUR HELP! Apply to be a polling volunteer and help us ensure a fair elections season. Polling volunteers will receive a little gift of thanks by the end of the season! Applications have been extended and will be closing today at midnight,  April 12, 2023 at 11:59 PM.

Polling Volunteers Application<https://forms.gle/4FhTzQhbjWnep4Ck8>

Hi Folks,

Get ready for election season by looking at your candidate's bios and reasons as to why YOU should vote! Check out our Linktree or follow our Instagram @asucr_elections to see all elections related information like where to vote, how to vote, and incentives to vote. Voting begins April 17 and ends April 21st. Have a great day everyone!

ASUCR Elections Linktree<https://linktr.ee/ASUCR_Elections>

Best,
Elizabeth Trinh

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE VICE PRESIDENT OF SUSTAINABILITY

Hi Highlanders,

GCAP has a week of planned events so you can learn about sustainability and celebrate Earth Day starting with a panel of speakers to an Earth Day Festival. There will be free food, giveaways, activities, and more, so make sure to come out and join us. For more information, check out our Instagram @gcapucr or the flyers below. We hope to see you there!

[cid:d33f39e2-b5de-406b-8f14-ad5ccc3091b7][cid:376497dd-8a93-4e97-b2fa-2a58e6ded861][cid:a3029e1a-9642-4a9d-b4a8-7d6a6ffdf86a][cid:956bbcf0-fb35-4e55-8fa0-ac3d29a0c1ea]

---
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE STUDENT VOICE COMMITTEE

Dear UCR Students,

The Student Voice Committee is currently accepting applications for the 2023-2024 school year. We are looking for dedicated and passionate individuals to join our team as Board Members. The positions available include Chair, Vice Chair, and Personnel Director.

To be eligible to apply for the SVC Board Member position, you must be a full-time undergraduate student at UCR for the entire academic year, which includes Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters in the 2023-2024 school year. If you have any questions or concerns about the application process or any of the positions available, please reach out to us at asucrsvc at ucr.edu.

Link to Application: https://forms.gle/ch4FPQaW7ZcFSKDw6

Applications are due on 4/17 at 11:59 PM. We look forward to receiving and reading your application.

---

>From the Office of the Personnel

What is ASUCR? What did ASUCR accomplish this year? If you have any of these questions in mind, keep on reading to learn more!

ASUCR<https://asucr.ucr.edu/> is the official student body government here at UCR built to advocate, educate, and represent the student body.

In order to promote transparency and accountability for all ASUCR offices, we have compiled an ASUCR Executive Branch
Winter Quarter Report<https://docs.google.com/document/d/14tvYzs0KOcGlC04V1sjmmSwlIvnS2epS8J9brUB7LWQ/edit?usp=sharing> detailing every office's accomplishments.

If you have any questions or ideas you'd like to see implemented, please feel free to email aahlu004 at ucr.edu or fill out this Anonymous Feedback Form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdd-2Q0FEfJI8AfxVrNDKJBaRRGPQNBSW2lXLBajcLrjZPHpg/viewform?usp=sf_link>. We're here to empower you and greatly appreciate your feedback so please don't hesitate to reach out! Thank you so much and have a great day!

Best,
Ankita Ahluwalia

---

FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT

If you are a leader of a Student Organization at UCR, please fill out the following survey as it caters toward learning about specific resources that may aid you in planning future workshops. Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bLKkGJqKhSOgbHGg3TsVYKJ4gAWfsjSR0Asg1kNVIp8/edit?ts=64123ccd

BRENDAN O'BRIEN (he/him/his)

Assistant Dean of Students and Director, Highlander Union Building (HUB Operations)

Interim Executive Director, Associated Students of UCR

University of California, Riverside

900 University Ave.

HUB 353

Riverside, CA 92521

Phone: (951) 827-7859  |  Email: brendan.obrien at ucr.edu<mailto:brendan.obrien at ucr.edu>

Website: hub.ucr.edu | Twitter: @ucrhub

[cid:dbb5381b-0618-4c2b-ae9b-a6b056956b6d]