[Faculty] 2023 Gilliam Fellowship for Advanced Study

Dennis Frederick McIver dennis.mciver at ucr.edu
Sat Aug 20 00:31:49 PDT 2022

Good Evening,

Please see the announcement below regarding the 2023 Gilliam Fellowship for Advanced Study which is available to STEM faculty and their graduate students. To apply, please visit: https://grad.ucr.edu/register/Gilliam_Fellowship by September 14, 2022.

----

The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is a prestigious funder of the life sciences.
As well as supporting individual faculty in their research the Institute is also a strong supporter of training opportunities for students.

The Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study<http://www.hhmi.org/science-education/programs/gilliam-fellowships-advanced-study> is a fellowship opportunity that will support a Graduate Student and their Faculty Mentor.

"The goals of the Gilliam program are to ensure that persons from populations historically excluded from and underrepresented in science are prepared to assume leadership roles in science, including as college and university faculty, and to foster the development of a healthy and inclusive academic scientific ecosystem. The program awards grants to pairs of dissertation advisers and their graduate students, and encourages the grantee institution and the adviser to hold themselves accountable for creating an environment that advances diversity and inclusion."

Our campus has the opportunity to nominate 2 mentor/mentee pairs who will then be allowed to submit full applications to HHMI.

The HHMI nomination deadline is September 29th 2022.

Our internal Graduate Division deadline is September 14th 2022.

I appreciate this is a quick turnaround for your internal application.

To simplify this process we are requesting only:

1.      Name of Mentor
2.      Dept.
3.      CV/Biosketch
4.      Statement of mentorship: to address broadly your mentorship experience and philosophy as well as specifically towards your nominated mentee.
5.      Name of Mentee
6.      Graduate Program
7.      CV/biosketch
8.      Research Project
9.      Diversity statement

I am attaching the Program Announcement<https://www.hhmi.org/sites/default/files/2023-gilliam-program-announcement.pdf> which provides important details on eligibility, the award and the full application process.

This is an excellent opportunity for students and faculty. If you have any questions please contact me emmaw at ucr.edu<mailto:emmaw at ucr.edu?subject=Gilliam%20Fellowships%202022>.

all the best
Emma