[Faculty] Fall 2024 - University Honors Ignition Seminar Proposals are now being accepted

Honorsdirector honorsdirector at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 9 11:01:36 PST 2024

Dear UCR faculty members,

You are being contacted for possible interest in teaching an Ignition Seminar for University Honors.

At this time, I am writing to invite you to apply to teach an Ignition Seminar for the Fall 2024 quarter. Ignition Seminars are an excellent opportunity for faculty to engage with some of UCR's brightest and most motivated first-year students. Capped at typically 15 students, each seminar allows a faculty member to teach a topic of his/her choosing, from an interdisciplinary perspective, and help our students begin their UCR experience on a positive and stimulating note. Departmental compensation for each Ignition Seminar is $5,000.00.  Additional information on creating an Ignition Seminar can be found in the attached document.

For the Fall 2024 quarter, all Ignition Seminars must meet the following requirements:

  *   All classes must meet at least twice a week, for a combined total of three hours.
  *   In addition to the normal workload required of students, all Ignition Seminars must require students to complete three additional hours of outside activity per week.
  *   Although an Ignition Seminar can be taught on any subject, it must incorporate disciplines within the Humanities and/or Social Sciences to support the teaching of the class and the satisfaction of a Humanities or Social Sciences breadth requirement.
  *   All Ignition Seminars must include a term paper in lieu of a final exam.

To be considered for teaching an Ignition Seminar, please complete the following form: https://ucrhonors.wufoo.com/forms/z15fjzfq0oiws2h/

For priority consideration, please complete the form by  February 16th.

If you know of any faculty member who would be interested in this opportunity, please feel free to share this information with them, as well.

We sincerely appreciate your support of University Honors. Please reach out to me at this email address if you have any questions regarding Ignition Seminars or any other questions you may regarding University Honors.

Sincerely,
Rich Cardullo

Richard A. Cardullo, Ph.D.
Howard H Hays Jr. Chair, University Honors
Professor of Biology and Biophysics