[Students] ASUCR: IMPORTANT UPDATES - Get Involved!

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 6 17:15:48 PDT 2020

YOU’RE INVITED!  FIRST ASUCR SENATE MEETING OF THE YEAR:

Hello Highlanders!

Today, October 7th, ASUCR will be hosting our first Senate Meeting at 6:30 p.m.!  These are the changes for this year's Senate Meeting.

1. To ensure every student has a voice during our senate meeting, my team and I have created a Google form where you can sign up to express your concern(s)!

2. We’ve also decided to have Senators upload their reports so all students can have access to review what your elected officials have been doing weekly.

Currently, my team and I are finalizing our Instagram page where all of this information will be posted! In addition, my team and I will be improving Senate Meetings throughout the quarter to make sure they are efficient and transparent. If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at asucrevp at ucr.edu. I hope to see everyone tonight! Stay safe.

Agenda

Senate Meeting Zoom Link

Public Forum/Comment Sign Up

Legislation

Senator Reports

Best Regards,

Natalie Hernandez
Executive Vice President (She/Her)

asucrevp at ucr.edu

STUDENT VOICE COMMITTEE APPLICATION – FINAL REMINDER:

Hello Highlanders!

My name is Mark Hanin and I am the Vice-Chair of the Student Voice Committee for the upcoming academic year of 2020-2021.

The Student Voice Committee is a non-political committee under the Associated Students of UCR (ASUCR)  dedicated to figuring out the needs, wants, and desires of our student body. We accomplish this by conducting polls, surveys, and individual research on the relevant topics and issues that concern UCR students.

Our team is looking for students to fill our Student Delegate positions for the upcoming academic year. In this position, you will have access to resources to make a change for all students here at UCR. By being a part of this committee, you’ll have the opportunity to develop interpersonal skills, engage one on one with students, and gain insights on topics and issues that matter. You’ll be part of a team that is devoted to making students feel like their voice is being heard and considered.

If you are interested in applying, please check out the following links for the Delegate Job Description and Delegate Application that can be found below this email. You can submit your application until this Friday, October 9th, at 5:00 PM.

If you have any questions please contact me, Mark Hanin, at asucrsvc at ucr.edu.

Best regards,

Mark Hanin
Vice-Chair of Student Voice Committee
asucrsvc at ucr.edu

Delegate Job Description:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q7oOT66kzkW9HRDu5f2agioM6rzZpXrOjLbQcWoEFcE/edit

Delegate Application:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfRqOmRwYeh8m7FESMH3BgmNzt0nQAtswNbkUYfODRLBPaCkA/viewform

FREE LEGAL HELP FOR STUDENTS:

Hello Highlanders,
Did you know that ASUCR has a Legal Clinic for students? Ranging from all kinds of disputes, from ​bankruptcy ​to

landlord issues ​and ​auto accidents, ​we can help! ​ ​Click Here to find out more about our legal clinic.  Also if you are a victim of labor law violations or disputes from your employer please contact the Inland Empire Labor Council or the ​California Department of Labor for more information.

Best Regards,
Orlando Cabalo President Pro Tempore

asucrprotempore at ucr.edu

JOIN UC STUDENTS FOR WEVOTE WEEKEND OF ACTION!

Hey Highlanders! There are only 27 DAYS until the most important election of our lifetimes, and CA ballots have already been mailed out! We at the UC Student Association are thrilled to invite you to attend our "WeVOTE Weekend" this Saturday through Sunday, October 10th-11th!

Our Weekend of Action will bring together students from across the UC system for the opportunity to mobilize our voting efforts for the 2020 Election that is already under way! WeVOTE Weekend will consist of two sessions: Saturday is an Election Action and Sunday is a Prop 16 Action. Both days will provide students with the opportunity to take direct action to enhance voter turnout and educate voters before this November. If you or someone you know might be interested in joining our collective efforts please register at this link: http://bit.do/wevoteweekend. For any questions or concerns please reach out to asucrorganizing at ucr.edu.

Hope to see you there,

Vincent Rasso | He/Him/His

Vice President of External Affairs

Email: asucrexternal at ucr.edu

Instagram: ASUCR External Affairs

COMPLETE THE UC IRVINE MENTAL HEALTH SURVEY!

Hi UCR folks! Our amazing peers at ASUC Irvine are currently drafting a state bill to urge the California Legislature to provide sustainable funding for mental health services at the UC. Please consider submitting an anonymous survey to support the research that will be provided to draft this bill and expand mental health services across our campuses! Link to survey: bit.ly/SurveyMHB

In solidarity,

Lizette Inzunza | She/Her/Hers

Government Relations Director | Lobby Corps Chair

Office of ASUCR External Affairs

Email: asucradvocacy at ucr.edu

APPLY TO BE A UCSA INTERNATIONAL STUDENT COALITION REPRESENTATIVE

Hello Highlanders,

Are you interested in International Student Advocacy?

The UCSA International Student Coalition is currently recruiting International Student representatives from each campus. Representatives for this coalition will express their International student concerns, engage in advocacy efforts, and network with other UC International student leaders. The UCSA International Student Coalition aims to serve the needs and issues of our international student communities UC systemwide. This opportunity is open to everybody, including non-International students. We kindly ask for a brief resume/CV and a one page double spaced statement on why you want this role. The deadline for this opportunity will be October 9th, 2020.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact Kym Chu at kymchu at ucdavis.edu

In Solidarity,

Cristy Chen, Chair Director

ASUCR International Student Affairs Committee

ASK YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT RIVERSIDE MAYORAL CANDIDATES AND CA PROPOSITIONS ON THE 2020 BALLOT:

Hi Highlanders,

On October 21st, UCR is having a Riverside Mayoral Candidate and CA Propositions Forum.  We want to know what questions YOU have for Riverside mayoral candidates and about CA Propositions, so we can ask them during the event.

Best regards,

Emily

Emily Thomas B.A. Public Policy, UCR '22

Civic Engagement Director - ASUCR External

Email: asucrvotes at ucr.edu

CENSUS & VOTER REGISTRATION DEADLINES – REMINDER!

Hey Highlanders!

We are officially 24 days away from the Census deadline and 12 days away from the voter registration deadline.

UCR is at risk of an undercount!

The Census is a ONCE-EVERY 10-YEAR count of everyone residing in the United States, regardless of legal status. This questionnaire is used to determine political representation (redistricting), federal and state funding for your community (Pell grants/loans/infrastructure), and valuable statistical information for planning and policies. The Census deadline was pushed back to Saturday, October 31st. We urge all Highlanders to take action and ensure they and their families/friends are counted!

If you were living in off-campus, non-UCR affiliated housing back in March (before Covid restrictions), you must fill out the Census yourself, using that address, even if you have already moved out!  You can respond to this questionnaire online, by phone, or by mail. Visit https://2020census.gov/en.html for more information.

Additionally, the voter registration deadline is Monday, October 19th. All registered voters should verify their voter registration status and address. California is now a Vote-By-Mail state, meaning anyone who is registered by the 10/19 deadline will automatically receive their ballot in the mail. Select Vote Centers will offer in-person voting throughout California.

You might be someone who was temporarily displaced because of COVID-19. If you registered to vote before COVID-19, please check your registration to see which address you are registered with. If you no longer have access to the address you are registered with, how will you obtain your ballot to vote? To avoid any issues with your address and your automatic vote-by-mail ballot, please make sure you make any necessary changes to your address by September 14th.

To verify voter registration, please visit:

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/cavoter/

If you missed the September 14th deadline to change your address on your registration, you can still go to vote.ucr.edu and re-register to vote with the address you are currently at by October 19th, 2020.

Associated Students, UC Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)

900 University Avenue

Riverside, CA. 92521