[Students] ASUCR President's Message: Important Info About Voting & the Census

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 7 11:20:12 PDT 2020

Highlanders, take action this year by participating in the census and registering to vote! This year, more than ever, your participation and voice are important in shaping the next decade. Be part of the electoral process, cast your ballot, and help advance the nation of tomorrow.

The 2020 presidential election will take place on November 3, 2020, and you must register to vote at least 15 days before election day. The California Secretary of State allows for online voter registration that is accessible to all students. California Governor Newsom enacted an executive order that mandates all county officials to send vote-by-mail ballots which means all Californians will have this option. If you moved houses recently, it is important to re-register to ensure that you are able to participate in in-person polls in your county. .

The U.S. Census is conducted every 10 years and is an opportunity to redistribute funding and redraw district boundaries. You now have until October 31 to fill out your Census form.

In the 2018 midterm elections, the registration rate for UCR students was 66.2% with a 34.6% voting rate. This is a +25.5 jump from 2014, and with the help of all Highlanders, we can surpass this jump and reach record voting rates! As citizens that will integrate into society at-large once our studies are over, our participation in both the census and presidential election will help define our livelihoods and how we interact.

There is so much at stake this year and your voice needs to be heard! Don’t let this opportunity pass you up.  Exercise your right to vote!

Luis Huerta

President

Associated Students of University of California, Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)

900 University Avenue

Riverside, CA. 92521

951-827-3621