[Students] ASUCR Update: Letters of Action, Committee, Census

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Wed Sep 30 10:09:34 PDT 2020

BAC RECOMMENDATION TO THE CHANCELLOR – LETTER OF OPPOSITION:

Dear Highlanders,

I hope that this message finds you well. As you may be aware, the UCR Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) released a budget recommendation that, among other items, calls for the elimination of the UCR Athletics Program and the removal of the UCR School of Public Policy.

In response to these recommendations, ASUCR representatives from the Office of Internal Affairs and External Affairs, with consultation and feedback from student leaders within UCR Athletics, the UCR School of Public Policy, and other campus groups, have drafted a Letter of Opposition in response to the BAC's recommendations. This letter can be viewed below and can also be accessed here.  I urge you to read this letter in detail and express your concerns regarding the BAC's decision to UCR campus administrators and your ASUCR representatives.

Please feel free to contact the ASUCR Internal Affairs office if you have any questions, comments, and/or concerns regarding the letter of opposition to the BAC recommendations, in addition to any concerns you may have pertaining to any academic affairs, diversity/inclusion, and basic needs issues and affairs on campus. The Office of Campus Internal Affairs extends to you our warmest regards, and we want to wish you the best of luck on the new academic year. We hope that amidst these especially trying times, you and your loved ones are healthy, safe, and well.

In solidarity and community,

Preeti Juturu (she/her) | Chief of Staff
Office of the Vice President of Campus Internal Affairs
Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside (ASUCR)

Email: asucrinternal at ucr.edu | Instagram: ASUCR Internal Affairs

BAC Recommendation to the Chancellor – Letter of Opposition

From: The Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside (ASUCR)

To: chancellor at ucr.edu budgetadvisory at ucr.edu harry.tomnull at ucr.edu provostadmin at ucr.edu gerard.bomotti at ucr.edu provost at ucr.edu

Dear members of the University of California, Riverside Budget Advisory Committee,

Students of the University of California, Riverside (UCR) are in strong support of the UCR School of Public Policy and UCR Athletics and respectfully call for amendments to the current budget recommendations, as stated in the Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) recommendation to the Chancellor.

Though the BAC has “not viewed [these programs] as critical as other campus activities,” both UCR Athletics and the UCR School of Public Policy are quintessential to the academic enrichment and career growth of UCR students, as well as necessary in employing students, community members, and other personnel. Amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, it is inequitable to propose the elimination of two vital components of UCR, as it would lead to devastating impacts on the students, faculty, administration, and staff.

Furthermore, students of the University of California, Riverside (UCR) have drafted a list of demands that we request are taken into consideration and acted upon as soon as possible. These demands are listed below.

Demands:

a.                  We urge the Budget Advisory Committee (BAC) to reconsider their budgetary recommendations to Chancellor Kim A. Wilcox, provide an in-depth public statement on the reasoning behind their recommendations (the process for determining which aspects of the UCR budget to eliminate, the cost/benefit analysis, etc.), provide a budgetary breakdown that specifies the line-item reductions, as well as a projection as to how the elimination of the various programs/areas would impact the personnel involved with them.

b.                  We urge that for current and future budgetary recommendations, the BAC consults with the various departments and affiliated personnel that may be impacted by their recommendations.

c.                   The UCR community requests that information regarding impacts on employment, academics (advising, course structure, faculty teaching), internship opportunities, student scholarships, research centers, and building reassignment are publicly released.

d.                  Students demand that we have at least one undergraduate and one graduate student representative sit on the BAC, with said representatives being appointed by our student governing bodies.

e.                  The student body demands transparency as well as accountability, as the summary recommendations on the UCR budget that were made publicly available are derived from a BAC meeting from August 10, 2020; approximately one month ago. We demand a public email be sent out addressing the recent budgetary recommendations, as well as have monthly emails sent out from the BAC regarding budget recommendations.

We also request that the members of the BAC and UCR campus administration view and support the messages and items called for in the following petitions: Keep UCR Athletics, BAC Call for Action: Keep the UCR School of Public Policy.

Sincerely,

The University of California, Riverside (UCR) Campus Student Leadership

The Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside (ASUCR) UCR Campus Advocacy, Resources & Education (CARE) The R’Pantry The UCR Black Faculty and Staff Association UCR Chinese Student Association (CSA) UCR Men’s Volleyball Club Team UCR Biomedical Ethics The UCR Blue Gold and Black Podcast UCR Kappa Kappa Gamma UCR Kappa SigmaThe Associated Students Program Board (ASPB) UCR Student Life Programs UCR Basic Needs The UCR Career Center The UCR Community Engagement and Outreach Unit of Undergraduate Admissions The UCR Interfraternity Council (IFC) UCR Vietnamese Student Association (VSA) UCR Undergraduate Research Club UCR Gamma Phi Beta UCR Sigma Kappa UCR Delta GammaThe Well UCR Diversity, Equity and Inclusion The UCR Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center (LGBTRC) The UCR Black Student Union (BSU) UCR Korean American Student Association (KASA) UCR Student Association of Latino Spanish Affairs and Ballet Folklorico de UCR UCR Chess Club UCR Phi Chi Theta UCR Sigma Alpha Epsilon UCR Alpha Chi Omega

JOIN THE ASUCR MARKETING COMMITTEE:

ASUCR is in need of members to fill out their Marketing Committee! My name is Ian Chew, and I am your current standing Marketing & Promotions Director, and my committee is in need of students who are experienced in content creation or student government, and those with an interest in advertising and marketing!

The committee includes Photographers, Videographers, Graphic Designers, Vice Chair, Secretary, with both paid and non-paid positions.

Being a part of the ASUCR Marketing Committee expands further than politics, as it's a great medium to exercise your creativity, and log more professional experience in your field!

As a result of COVID-19, we have decided to extend the deadline of our applications to October 4, 11:59 PM.

If you are interested, click the following link: https://forms.gle/V3L9xj6kRAjpXof99

Look forward to hearing from you all,

Ian Chew (He/Him)

Marketing & Promotions Director

asucrmarketing at ucr.edu

STUDENT WORKER LAYOFFS – INFORMATION:

Hey Highlanders,

Please check out this informational letter about recent reports of student-worker layoffs in Residential Life.

In Solidarity,

President Pro Tempore Orlando Cabalo

FILL OUT THE CENSUS

Hey, highlanders today is the original date the Census is due and we encourage you to fill it out today at 2020census.gov !  The Census will determine political representation, federal and state funding for your community (Pell grants/loans/infrastructure), and more for the next 10 years.

What you need to know as a UCR Student:
You should fill out the Census based on where you were in March, before having to relocate because of the pandemic
If you were/are living in off-campus non-UCR affiliated housing (those surrounding UCR (Grand Marc, UV, private homes, etc.) then you must fill out the Census yourself! Even if you have canceled your lease and have moved back to your permanent address or another housing address, you must fill out the Census using the address you were living back prior to COVID-19 (March).
If you were/are living in Campus housing (Lothian, Glenmore, Stonehaven, Oban, etc.) then you have already been counted! UCR has already worked with the Census Bureau to make sure that you are counted.
Be counted once and in the right place
Fill out the Census at 2020census.gov

#UCRcounts #2020census

Emily Thomas B.A. Public Policy, UCR '22

Civic Engagement Director - ASUCR External

Associated Students, UC Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)

900 University Avenue

Riverside, CA. 92521