[Students] ASUCR Update

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue Jun 8 17:59:15 PDT 2021

VPEA APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!!!

Hey Highlanders! We are happy to announce that we are now accepting applications for the ASUCR External Affairs Office 2021-2022!!!

The 2021-22 Office of ASUCR's Vice President of External Affairs, Elysha Castillo, focuses on lobbying elected officials, advocacy on behalf of undergraduate students on local, state, & federal level, student organizing, labor and union solidarity, and civic engagement. We are looking for a passionate, multifaceted diverse group of people from all majors & backgrounds. If this sounds like you, apply now.

Applications are due Friday, June 18 at 11:59 PM PST.

Positions Guide: bit.ly/ExternalPositionsGuide21

Application: https://forms.gle/78xtqCDopra6qBdD9

For any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact incoming VPEA Elysha Castillo at @asucrexternal on Instagram or via email at ecast141 at ucr.edu.

All the best,

Elysha Castillo | She/Her/Hers

Vice President of External Affairs, 2021-22

Campus Organizing Director, 2020-21

Email: ecast141 at ucr.edu

STUDENT VOICE COMMITTEE (SVC) A YEAR IN REVIEW + FAREWELL - FIFTH AND FINAL EXTERNAL AFFAIRS UPDATE!!!!:

Hello Highlanders!

My name is Mark Hanin and I am the Vice-Chair of the Student Voice Committee (SVC). I would like to begin by providing the entire student body with the fifth and final External Affairs Update for the committee this academic year.

This year, the Student Voice Committee was able to continue upholding its mission of amplifying student voices by making sure that they were being heard and represented through our committee's work. Through the research, surveys, and questionnaires we conducted this entire academic year, we were able to garner nearly 5,000 survey responses from both Undergraduate and Graduate Students like yourselves at UCR. Specifically, we conducted 7 surveys and 2 questionnaires that accompanied 2 of our surveys this academic year. From surveying the student body on topics such as "Student Employment" all the way to the "ASUCR Elections", "Academic Advising Experience" and "HUB Services'', we were able to gain an understanding of how the student experience at UCR was over the past years as well as what services students relied on while on campus. In addition to that, we were able to continue highlighting our survey results and therefore, student voices, through designing infographics for each of our 7 surveys, similar to past years. However, we began highlighting student voices this year in another manner by customizing their feedback as quotes, which we posted on our Instagram Page under the handle "studentvoiceucr". Not only that, but we were able to reward around 50 students with gift cards and prizes through our incentives and giveaways as well as help support Feeding America and the Wounded Warrior Project through one of our surveys this academic year. Finally, we were able to sponsor a survey by the incoming ASUCR Elected Officials for the next academic year on student concerns with the transition back to in-person course instruction come this Fall.

For the first time ever this year, the Student Voice Committee started an initiative to conduct case studies based on a select set of surveys we conducted throughout this entire academic year. The purpose of the case studies was to provide for students like yourself with the opportunity and the platform to discuss with us how you felt about certain topics beyond the scope of the traditional surveys and questionnaires we conducted in years prior. Specifically, we were able to conduct two case studies on the "Classroom Etiquette and Academic Experiences" of students as well as on "Student Conversations and Group Chat Services" this academic year. They were both the first-ever and second student-led, independent, case studies in UC Riverside's history. This in itself was a milestone for the committee as it allowed us to build a network of support with the student body and to construct a compelling representation of the students at UCR.

With that said, I was fortunate enough to be appointed to lead this initiative on behalf of the committee and to help guide a few select committee members in the process who, with me, formed the first-ever Case Study Team under the Student Voice Committee. Through the two case studies that were conducted this academic year, our team was able to interview 20 different students who come from different demographics themselves all over our campus. Whether our 20 participants were undergraduate students, graduate students, transfer students, or more that that, the case studies incorporated the different perspectives and experiences of students at UCR and supplemented our findings from the surveys that typically preceded our case studies.

>From there, I was able to present the case studies on behalf of the team to the Executive Committees and Faculty Meetings of all six colleges on campus in addition to members of the University Administration such as the Undergraduate Education Leadership Team and other entities throughout our campus to ensure that student voices directly reached all members of our campus community. Therefore, I can assure the student body today that your voices as students have been heard by the university and that you will continue to be supported by faculty, staff, and administration as you head back to campus for in-person instruction come this Fall and moving onwards. With that said, we were able to wrap up a productive year as a committee and look forward to continuing to grow on campus over the next few years and into the future.

As always, please do know that you are able to view our work from this year and years prior using the following link https://asucr.ucr.edu/leadership/voice/previous as well as that you are able to complete a Survey Request Form indicating the topic(s) that you would like for us to cover in our future surveys.

Please note that Individual students AND on-campus student organizations are more than welcome to complete the form.

The link to the form can be found right here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaTRao-eqmtCQYhN5VqKWBPOnT64cuN7fbZhzc4bhX-krIHw/viewform.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at asucrsvc at ucr.edu.

It has been a pleasure serving as your Vice-Chair this year and directing all matters of external outreach on behalf of the committee by reaching out to you all, the student body, almost every week and conducting the case studies with my team this academic year before presenting them to faculty, staff, and administrators all over campus. I sincerely and humbly appreciate having gotten to know the student body and campus community more this academic year. On behalf of the committee, we thank you, the student body, for participating in our surveys, questionnaires, and case studies. You have definitely made your voices heard this past year despite the challenges of remote learning and the Coronavirus Pandemic. Congratulations to you all for almost completing this academic year and good luck on any remaining Final Exams you may have for the rest of Finals Week.

Best regards,

Mark Hanin
Vice-Chair of Student Voice Committee
asucrsvc at ucr.edu

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE GRADUATING CLASS OF 2021!

Associated Students, UC Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)

900 University Avenue

Riverside, CA. 92521