[Students] CHASS Dean Appointment

Provost provost at ucr.edu
Fri Jun 11 12:47:43 PDT 2021

Dear Campus Community:

I am pleased to announce the appointment of Dr. Daryle Williams as UCR's next dean of the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences<https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2021/06/11/university-maryland-scholar-ucrs-next-chass-dean>. Dr. Williams, a prominent historian and current associate dean for faculty affairs in the College of Arts and humanities at University of Maryland (UMD), will assume his role with UCR on September 1.

Dr. Williams holds his master's and Ph.D. in history from Stanford University, and earned a history degree and certificate in Latin American studies from Princeton University. A California native, he was born in San Francisco and raised in San Diego County, and is looking forward to returning to home to Southern California.

Daryle will bring great experience, expertise, and energy to the role of CHASS Dean. He joins UCR after an impressive twenty-seven years at University of Maryland, serving on the faculty of the Department of History since 1994. During his time at UMD, he served for eight years as an associate dean for faculty, had great success in securing large extramural grant awards, and conducted groundbreaking work on the historical slave trade and in the digital humanities. I am really looking forward to working with him.

I want to express my gratitude to Dr. Juliet McMullin for her strong leadership and gracious service in her role as the Interim CHASS Dean over the past year. Juliet will continue in the interim position through the end of August.

I would also like to thank the members of the search committee for their active engagement in helping to select our new CHASS Dean:

Deborah Deas, Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences & Dean for the School of Medicine, Committee Chair
Sheila Bergman, Executive Director, UCR ARTS
Heidi Brevik-Zender, Associate Professor of Comparative Literature & Languages
Susan Brown, Director of Academic Personnel, CHASS
Rogério Budasz, Professor and Chair of Music
Steven Helfand, Professor & Chair, Economics
Jeff Girod, Director of Marketing and Communication, CHASS
Jeanette Kohl, Associate Professor of Art History
David Lloyd, Professor, and Chair of English
Yunhee Min, Professor & Chair, Art
Alyssa Marchan, ASUCR CHASS Senator & Undergraduate Student
Jennifer Nájera, Associate Professor and Chair of Ethnic Studies
Cuauhtémoc Peranda, Graduate Student
David Schaberg, Dean of Humanities, UCLA
Aaron Seitz, Professor of Psychology
Rodolfo Torres, Vice Chancellor for Research & Economic Development
Melissa Wilcox, Professor & Chair, Religious Studies
Please join me in thanking Dr. Juliet McMullin for her service and in extending a warm welcome to Incoming Dean Daryle Williams.

Sincerely,
Liz
Elizabeth Watkins, PhD (she/her/hers)
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor