[Students] Time to Vaccinate

Chancellor chancellor at ucr.edu
Mon Jun 14 08:45:29 PDT 2021

Dear Campus Community,

If you have been waiting to get vaccinated, now is the time.

Over the last several months, vaccines have been available through health care providers, pharmacies, and public clinics. Now, as we end the academic year, we are experiencing minimal transmission of coronavirus on campus<https://ehs.ucr.edu/coronavirus/cases>. Throughout California and the U.S., the increase in vaccine distribution parallels a steep decline of transmission, though it is important to note that neither cases nor deaths have stopped completely. The efforts to eradicate this deadly disease are working but the virus has not yet disappeared.

UC Vaccination Policy
While COVID-19 vaccination is currently voluntary, a UC vaccination policy<https://universityofcalifornia.edu/sites/default/files/review-draft-sars-cov-2-vaccination-program-participation-policy-04212021.pdf> will be finalized and issued by July 15. The effective date for policy compliance will be two weeks before faculty, staff, and students are expected to be on campus for the fall quarter. The policy will allow for narrow medical exemptions consistent with CDC guidance and manufacturer labeling, and students and employees will be able to request accommodation based on disability or religious belief. Additional information will be outlined by mid-July.

Submitting Your Vaccine Record
So far, 30% of UC Riverside students have submitted their COVID-19 immunization records. If you have received your vaccination but have not yet submitted your information, please do so via the Student Health patient portal<https://chconline.ucr.edu/>.

We will track and share updates on the percentage of employees and students who have submitted their proof of vaccination on the vaccines page<https://campusreturn.ucr.edu/vaccines> of our Campus Return website.

Incentives
All students who submit their vaccination records will receive $5 on their R'Card or the option to donate $5 to R'Pantry.

In addition, national awards<https://www.vaccines.gov/incentives.html> and regional incentives like California's Vax for the Win<https://covid19.ca.gov/vax-for-the-win/> may also be available.

Health and Safety is the Priority
Of course, the primary incentive to vaccinate remains your health and safety as well as the health and safety of those around you. We recognize that not everyone can be vaccinated, making it even more important for those who can.

In preparation for fall, UCR is participating in the White House College Vaccine Challenge<https://www.whitehouse.gov/COVIDCollegeChallenge/> and ask that you encourage fellow students to get vaccinated.

Throughout the pandemic, I have regularly explained that the health and safety of the campus community guides our decision making. This priority is one each of us must own. Thank you for doing your part to keep yourself and our community safe.

Sincerely,

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D760F9.80F8C830]

Kim A. Wilcox,
Chancellor