[Students] ASUCR Update - Week 8!

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue May 18 18:29:36 PDT 2021

MEET RIVERSIDE CITY MAYOR LOCK DAWSON  (Event May 20th at 4:00pm)

Please join us in a town hall with the newly elected Riverside City Mayor Patrica Lock Dawson, featuring opening remarks by former Mayor Ronald Loveridge. Mayor Lock Dawson will be discussing her plans for Riverside and answering student questions in this town hall event.

The event will be May 20th at 4:00pm  You can RSVP at bit.ly/ucr2021mayor

Best regards,

Emily Thomas

Civic Engagement Director - ASUCR External

ASUCR SENATE MEETING:  YOU’RE INVITED!

Hello, Highlanders!

Today we will be having our 8th Senate Meeting of the quarter at 6:30 pm! To access materials such as agenda, legislation, finance hearing meeting minutes, and recordings, use the link that states, "The Office of the Executive Vice President" below! You can also look at what Senators and ECAB have been doing for the past 8 weeks by using the link mentioned!

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK in Public Forum (before legislation is presented) or Public Comment (after legislation is done), please use the link below that states “Public Forum/Comment.” In order to speak, you MUST COMPLETE THE FORM or you will not be permitted to do so. Make sure to fill it out!

Public Forum/Comment

You can also access everything on our Instagram page @asucrevp! If you have any questions or concerns please email me at asucrevp at ucr.edu. Looking forward to seeing everyone! Stay safe and healthy!

The Office of the Executive Vice President Links

Best Regards,

Natalie Hernandez
Executive Vice President (She/Her)

ASUCR STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF OUR PALESTINIAN STUDENT COMMUNITY

Dear Highlanders,

ASUCR stands in strong solidarity with our Palestinian student community facing much hardship due to ongoing violence against Palestinian communities. Read our statement of support here, where you can find more information about what has been going on, resources for students affected, and a call to action for members of our community to support.

In solidarity,

Vincent Rasso | He/Him/His

ASUCR VP of External Affairs

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

CALL TO ACTION WITH ASUCR LABOR COMMISSION: SUPPORT UC WORKERS BARGAINING FOR A FAIR CONTRACT!

Hey Highlanders! Did you know California is the 2nd most expensive state to live in? This means the majority of UC lecturers live slightly above, or in poverty. Sign this petition in solidarity with UC-AFT; Check out our website and follow us on Twitter @UCAFT1966 and Instagram @ucaft1966 for updates and more information about UC-AFT. Their working conditions are our learning conditions. We are stronger together. Learn more here!

Join us for our Lecturers’ Panel on Thursday, May 20 at 2:00 PM to learn more about these issues and for a chance to win one of: 4 Hydroflasks, five $100 Raising Cane’s gift cards, five $100 In n Out gift cards, ten $100 Target gift cards or a pair of Airpods! We hope to see you there!

Participate in our Email Blast on May 20th @3pm! Email UCOP in solidarity with lecturers’ & be entered in a raffle to win one of: five $100 Wingstop gift cards, five $100 Dominos gift cards, or a Beats Speaker!

In Solidarity,

ASUCR Labor Commission

UC-AFT Student Interns

JOIN THE MAYOR OF RIVERSIDE AND ASUCR EXTERNAL FOR OUR MAYORAL FORUM ON MAY 20TH!

Hey Highlanders! ASUCR's Civic Engagement and Local Relations teams are so excited to be hosting Patricia Locke-Dawson, Mayor of the City of Riverside and the first woman to serve in the role, for our upcoming Riverside Mayoral Forum on Thursday, May 20th at 4:00 PM.

RSVP at the link: bit.ly/ucr2021mayor and join us as we host a conversation with Mayor Locke-Dawson alongside former Mayor and current UCR Professor of Political Science, Ronald Loveridge!

Hope to see you there!

Emily Thomas (she/her) | Civic Engagement Director

Andrea Terrones (she/her | Local Relations Director

Office of ASUCR External Affairs

asucrlocal at ucr.edu

APPLY TO BE AN APPOINTED OFFICER ON THE SYSTEMWIDE UCSA BOARD! DEADLINE MAY 31ST.

The UC Student Association collectively represents over 230,000 students across the University of California and its system of 10 campuses. As the official representative to UCSA for the undergraduate students at UC Riverside, I am delighted to announce that we are currently searching for powerful voices with special advocacy interests to serve as one of UCSA's 10 Appointed Officers.

As an Appointed Officer for UCSA, you would be able to elevate student issues to a systemwide level, and UCSA has roles open for Basic Needs, Financial Aid Advocacy, Environmental Sustainability, Campus Climate, Labor Relations, and more! You can find the application and job descriptions for each of the roles available at this link: https://ucsa.org/get-involved/appointed/. Deadline May 31st.

Additionally, you can email me at asucrexternal at ucr.edu with any questions you have about serving on the UCSA Board (as someone who has been working with our systemwide student government for three years, it's an absolutely amazing experience and opportunity to expand the power students have in shaping the landscape of our UC education and higher education!)

All the best,

Vincent Rasso | He/Him/His

ASUCR Vice President of External Affairs

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

APPLY TO SERVE ON THE SYSTEMWIDE UC TITLE IX STUDENT ADVISORY BOARD! DEADLINE JUNE 2ND.

Are you interested in shaping University policy around Title IX and SVSH? The UC Office of the President is currently opening applications for both UCR's graduate AND undergraduate spots on their systemwide Title IX Student Advisory Board for the 2021-22 term. Students applying should be familiar with campus Title IX policy, CARE office resources, and/or advocacy around SVSH prevention/response.

Application Link: https://forms.gle/Th83U8ubHcLdbKi78

Application Deadline: Wednesday, June 2nd

Successful applicants will be notified in July!

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

STUDENT VOICE COMMITTEE (SVC) Survey Infographics + Survey Request Form - SECOND EXTERNAL AFFAIRS UPDATE!!!!:

Hello Highlanders!

My name is Mark Hanin and I am the Vice-Chair of the Student Voice Committee (SVC). I would like to begin by once again introducing more of who we are, what our aim is as a committee in greater detail, as well as provide the second of our External Affairs Update for this academic year.

The Student Voice Committee is a non-political committee under the Associated Students of UCR (ASUCR) dedicated to figuring out the needs, wants, and desires of the student body. We accomplish this by conducting polls, surveys, and individual research on the relevant topics and issues that concern UCR students. Afterwards, we aggregate the data we collect and present it to our student government, campus administration, and student body at large.

The aim of our committee is to simply ensure that your voices as students are being heard, represented, and acted upon by the University as part of its governing process.

With that being said, we would like to uphold our commitment by presenting you, the student body, with the results of the two surveys that we conducted during Winter Quarter. Specifically, we would like to present you with the results of both the "ASUCR Elections Survey" and the "Political Impact Survey" customized as infographics in PDF file format found right below for your convenience.

ASUCR Elections Survey: https://asucr.ucr.edu/sites/g/files/rcwecm1866/files/2021-04/ASUCR%20Elections.pdf

Political Impact Survey: https://asucr.ucr.edu/sites/g/files/rcwecm1866/files/2021-04/Political%20Impact.pdf

If you would like to know more of what we do throughout the year as a committee, feel free to also view some of our past work and results under our committee page on the ASUCR website using the following link: https://asucr.ucr.edu/leadership/voice/previous.

Finally, please do know that you are always able to complete a Survey Request Form indicating the topic(s) that you would like for us to cover in our future surveys. Individual students AND on-campus student organizations are more than welcome to complete the form.

The link to the form can be found right here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaTRao-eqmtCQYhN5VqKWBPOnT64cuN7fbZhzc4bhX-krIHw/viewform.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at asucrsvc at ucr.edu.

Best regards,

Mark Hanin
Vice-Chair of Student Voice Committee
asucrsvc at ucr.edu

MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS EVENT – WIN GIFT CARDS!

Highlanders!

Join us this Thursday 5/20 from 12 to 1 pm for a mental health awareness event! In collaboration with UCR's The New Way Out, topics ranging from maintaining proper mental health to making the topic mainstream will be discussed by our guest speakers. Twenty (20) $35 Target gift cards will be given away to participants! Use this link to join. See you soon!

Warm Regards,

Luis Huerta

Student Body President

asucrpresident at ucr.edu

METAMORPHOSIS EVENT:

Hey Highlanders,

Are you interested in the UCR student community and winning a piece of over $4,400 in basic needs prizes? If so, you should come to Thursday's Metamorphosis panel being hosted by ASUCR, Chicano Student Programs, Student Veterans, Underground Scholars Initiative, and Student-Parents!

The event will be fun and educational, and will include amazing nontraditional-student speakers and over 50 prize giveaways (UCR Bookstore, Amazon, Olive Garden, etc).

Thank you for your time, and we hope to see you there!

Best Regards,

Student-Parent AdHoc Committee

Alyssa Marchan (CHASS Senator)

Natalie Hernandez (Executive Vice President)

Orlando Cabalo (President Pro Tempore)

Associated Students, UC Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)

900 University Avenue