[Students] ASUCR Update: Surveys, Petitions, Meetings, Open Positions, Prizes, Etc.!

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue May 25 17:12:24 PDT 2021

SUPPORT FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING & STUDENT-PARENTS

Hello Highlanders,

As this pandemic has taken its economic toll on many people, it is critical that we fight for basic needs and housing security.

Please consider joining student-parents in their advocacy for more affordable campus housing. If you are interested, please consider signing our letter writing campaign and this UCR housing petition.

Thank you for your time, strength and resilience.

In Solidarity,

Student-Parent Committee

Alyssa Marchan (CHASS Senator)

Yvonne Marquez (Diversity Council Co-Chair)

Orlando Cabalo (President Pro Tempore)

asucrprotempore at ucr.edu

STUDENT VOICE COMMITTEE (SVC) INSTAGRAM POSTS + PAST WORK + SURVEY REQUEST FORM - THIRD EXTERNAL AFFAIRS UPDATE!!!!:

Hello Highlanders!

My name is Mark Hanin and I am the Vice-Chair of the Student Voice Committee (SVC). I would like to begin by providing the entire student body with the third of five External Affairs Update for the committee this academic year.

This week, we will be highlighting some of the feedback you have given us as the student body at UCR through the surveys you completed over the past academic year. From your experience with Student Employment to your thoughts on the ASUCR Elections and Academic Advising Experience, you have provided the committee with much needed insight on how this past year has been for the students at UCR.

This is why we wanted to post some of the feedback you have given us, customized as quotes, over the course of this week on our Instagram page. It will be a way in which we hope to represent your voices as students. Please note that the quotes we will post this week on our Instagram page will be ANONYMOUS, much as our surveys were anonymous all year round.

If you like to see whether your quote ended up being posted on our Instagram page this week, feel free to check and follow our Instagram page by typing in the handle studentvoiceucr on your Instagram search bar.

As always, if you would like to know more of what we do throughout the year as a committee, feel free to also view some of our past work and results under our committee page on the ASUCR website using the following link: https://asucr.ucr.edu/leadership/voice/previous.

Finally, please do know that you are always able to complete a Survey Request Form indicating the topic(s) that you would like for us to cover in our future surveys. Individual students AND on-campus student organizations are more than welcome to complete the form.

The link to the form can be found right here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaTRao-eqmtCQYhN5VqKWBPOnT64cuN7fbZhzc4bhX-krIHw/viewform.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email us at asucrsvc at ucr.edu.

Best regards,

Mark Hanin
Vice-Chair of Student Voice Committee
asucrsvc at ucr.edu

UNITY FORUM & GIVEAWAY

Hello Highlanders, the Civic Engagement Committee is putting on a unity forum to provide a safe space to talk about current events that have been impacting students and communities of color. The event will include guest speakers from our ethnic programs and information on resources to take action and for support. There will be a giveaway including $100 dollar giftcards to Starbucks & Barnes and Noble, you must sign up and stay till the end of the event to be eligible.

The event will be on Thursday, May 27th at 4:00pm. RSVP at bit.ly/34dKNCZ

Emily Thomas  (she/her)

Civic Engagement Director - ASUCR External

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

STATE OF THE ASSOCIATION MEETING TONIGHT!  YOU’RE INVITED:

Hello, Highlanders!

Today we will be having our last State of the Association meeting of the academic year at 6:30 pm! To sign up for Public Forum/Comment, view  materials such as agenda, legislation, finance hearing meeting minutes, recordings, etc., please use the link below! You can also look at what Senators and ECAB have been doing for the past 9 weeks by using the link below!

You can also access everything on our Instagram page @asucrevp! If you have any questions or concerns please email me at asucrevp at ucr.edu. Looking forward to seeing everyone! Stay safe and healthy!

The Office of the Executive Vice President Links

Best Regards,

Natalie Hernandez
Executive Vice President (She/Her)

asucrevp at ucr.edu

STUDENT CONCERNS SURVEY ON THE IN-PERSON TRANSITION: WIN AMAZON GIFT CARDS

Hello Highlanders!

The incoming ASUCR Elected officials would like to announce that we are putting out a survey dedicated to identifying student concerns regarding the transition back to in-person instruction! Please take a moment to complete this short survey and be entered in a raffle to win one of our Amazon Gift Cards! Thank you for your time and we wish you the best of luck during finals!

Link to the survey can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdxZQFsUfcYFZmwHv44PwGkitfSX-lt3s8u0yMkv6n_Om4Ebg/viewform?usp=sf_link

asucrsvc at ucr.edu

ELECTIONS VOTING SURVEY – WIN AMAZON GIFT CARDS!

Hey Highlanders! Did you NOT vote in this year's ASUCR Election? Please let us know why by completing this survey! 5 winners who complete this survey will be entered into a drawing for (5) $75 Amazon gift cards. We appreciate your feedback.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Lama Yassine (She/Her)

asucrelections at ucr.edu

ASUCR Elections Director 2020-2021

SIGN THIS PETITION IN SUPPORT OF FUNDING UNDERGROUND SCHOLARS!

Salutations Highlanders,

As UCSA Racial Justice Now Chair and Coordinator for ASUCR, we  affirm our commitment to system-impacted students. The Underground Scholars Initiative (USI) must be properly resourced and housed within our campus structures and community. We must stand in solidarity with USI and system-impacted students and their systematic mistreatment. We urge Student Affairs and the Office of Equity Diversity, and Inclusion to properly house and fund the USI as they move to establish strong pathways for incarcerated, formerly-incarcerated and system impacted individuals within the UC system.

We must continue to extend our support to our fellow Highlanders at UC Riverside Chapter of Underground Scholars Initiative, and demand for their institutional recognition and permanence in the structure of Student Affairs. Below, sign the petition to demand USI be properly resourced and housed in our campus structure.

Petition: https://forms.gle/f9YbFsbHTcfJZgrD7.

All the Best,

Naomi Waters (she/her/hers)

Racial Justice Now! Campaign Chair, UC Student Association (UCSA)

RJN Campus Coordinator, Associated Students of UCR (ASUCR)

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

APPLY TO BE AN APPOINTED OFFICER ON THE SYSTEMWIDE UCSA BOARD! DEADLINE MAY 31ST

The UC Student Association collectively represents over 230,000 students across the University of California and its system of 10 campuses. As the official representative to UCSA for the undergraduate students at UC Riverside, I am delighted to announce that we are currently searching for powerful voices with special advocacy interests to serve as one of UCSA's 10 Appointed Officers.

As an Appointed Officer for UCSA, you would be able to elevate student issues to a systemwide level, and UCSA has roles open for Basic Needs, Financial Aid Advocacy, Environmental Sustainability, Campus Climate, Labor Relations, and more! You can find the application and job descriptions for each of the roles available at this link: https://ucsa.org/get-involved/appointed/. Deadline May 31st.

Additionally, you can email me at asucrexternal at ucr.edu with any questions you have about serving on the UCSA Board (as someone who has been working with our systemwide student government for three years, it's an absolutely amazing experience and opportunity to expand the power students have in shaping the landscape of our UC education and higher education!)

All the best,

Vincent Rasso | He/Him/His

ASUCR Vice President of External Affairs

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

APPLY TO SERVE ON THE SYSTEMWIDE UC TITLE IX STUDENT ADVISORY BOARD! DEADLINE JUNE 2ND

Are you interested in shaping University policy around Title IX and SVSH? The UC Office of the President is currently opening applications for both UCR's graduate AND undergraduate spots on their systemwide Title IX Student Advisory Board for the 2021-22 term. Students applying should be familiar with campus Title IX policy, CARE office resources, and/or advocacy around SVSH prevention/response.

Application Link: https://forms.gle/Th83U8ubHcLdbKi78

Application Deadline: Wednesday, June 2nd

Successful applicants will be notified in July!

asucrexternal at ucr.edu

Associated Students, UC Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)

900 University Avenue