[Students] UCR Highlanders in our Local Community

Christine Mata christine.mata at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 7 15:31:23 PDT 2021

Dear Highlanders,

As you continue to settle into the new hybrid environment, many of you are busy making new connection​s and others are taking this opportunity to reconnect with old friends. The exciting opportunity to connect with each other also presents the ability to gather. There are a variety of opportunities to gather on campus. These dynamics are all part of the college experience.  While many of you are engaging on campus, there will be many of you engaging within the local community off campus.

As you move through our local community, I want to remind you that you are the best and the brightest that we have to offer the vibrant Riverside community. No matter where you go, you are a Highlander and a UC Riverside student. I ask that you keep that with you as you plan gatherings off campus. Our neighbors live, work and move through the community just like you. Please be mindful that your actions can have far reaching affects. We are still in the midst of a pandemic, so please be aware and follow all local health and safety guidance. All of our actions in the community can impact our neighbors.

As we advance through this unique academic year, I am confident that you will represent our campus with consideration, grace and demonstrate that our neighbors in the community of Riverside can be proud to be affiliated with the UC Riverside. As a resource and a reminder to be a good neighbor, I ask that you view this short clip (https://youtu.be/msg-w6N9aaA) on the subject and remember that you are the greatest assets we have to offer this community. You are a UCR Highlander no matter where you go! We are proud of you and it is a privilege to be working, living and learning alongside each one of you. I wish you much success this academic year.

Best Regards,

[cid:628c15ec-faf1-49ba-8d28-cf853b47e0c2]

Christine Mata, Ph.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Dean of Students

Pronouns: She, Her, Hers<https://out.ucr.edu/pronouns-matter>

[cid:bbd8ba59-bafb-4424-8e77-0146afd29646]