[Students] ASUCR UPDATES: Meetings, Announcements and Surveys

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 13 17:44:38 PDT 2020

UPCOMING SENATE MEETINGS & SPECIAL ELECTION:

Hello Highlanders!

We have our second Senate Meeting today at 6:30 pm and Special Elections at 8 pm. My Executive Assistant has created a link where you can find all the information needed for our Senate Meetings! The link provides: the zoom link for Senate Meeting and Special Elections, the google form for Public Forum/Comment, Senator reports, Senate Meeting recordings, and a form for concerns/issues.  We have also attached files to this email.

For easier access, follow our Instagram page @asucrevp to also access the links and the posted agendas! Our goal in the Executive Vice President Office is to create transparency and efficiency. If you have any questions or concerns, email me at asucrevp at ucr.edu. Thank you and I hope to see y'all there! Stay safe and healthy!

Executive Vice President Office Links

Best Regards,

Natalie Hernandez
Executive Vice President (She/Her)
asucrevp at ucr.edu

INDIGENOUS PEOPLES’ DAY  (Monday, Oct. 12, 2020):

Dear Highlanders,

The ASUCR Office of the Vice President of Campus Internal Affairs has drafted a statement in honor of Indigenous Peoples' Day, which was on Monday, October 12, 2020. This statement can be viewed below or accessed here. As students, employees, and residents of this land, the Office of the Vice President of Campus Internal Affairs at the Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside (ASUCR) would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize the original and current caretakers of the land, water, and air that the University of California, Riverside is built upon: the Cahuilla [ka-wee-ahh], Tongva [tong-va], Luiseño [loo-say-ngo], and Serrano [se-ran-oh] peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. We urge you to not only educate yourselves on the history and heritage of Indigenous peoples throughout the UC Riverside area but educate yourself on the First Nation Peoples' lands you live, work, and learn on today. We ask that you read our statement, and we would also like to recognize and thank UCR Indigenous/Native American/First Nations students for your resilience and power.

Please feel free to contact the ASUCR Internal Affairs office if you have any questions, comments, and/or concerns regarding our statement, in addition to any concerns you may have pertaining to any academic affairs, diversity/inclusion, and basic needs issues and affairs on campus. The Office of Campus Internal Affairs extends to you our warmest regards, and we hope that amidst these especially trying times, you and your loved ones are healthy, safe, and well.

In solidarity and community,

Preeti Juturu (she/her) | Chief of Staff
Office of the Vice President of Campus Internal Affairs
Email: asucrinternal at ucr.edu | Instagram: ASUCR Internal Affairs

RE: ASUCR VP CIA Office on Indigenous Peoples' Day

Dear Highlanders,

Monday, October 12, 2020, was Indigenous Peoples' Day, a holiday that celebrates and honors the First Nations peoples' cultures, heritage, history, and lives. Celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day in lieu of Columbus Day, a holiday marked with violence, oppression, and ignorance, is a small step in recognizing and uplifting Indigenous voices. First and foremost, we would like to thank UCR Indigenous/Native American/First Nations students for your resilience and power. We thank you for your strength, kindness, and contribution to our campus. We thank you for the work you have and continue to do, and we hope to better serve and empower you.

As students, employees, and residents of this land, the Office of the Vice President of Campus Internal Affairs at the Associated Students of the University of California, Riverside (ASUCR) would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize the original and current caretakers of the land, water, and air that the University of California, Riverside is built upon: the Cahuilla [ka-wee-ahh], Tongva [tong-va], Luiseño [loo-say-ngo], and Serrano [se-ran-oh] peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. We urge you to not only educate yourselves on the history and heritage of Indigenous peoples throughout the UC Riverside area but educate yourself on the native lands you live, work, and learn on today.

We also encourage you to support and uplift Indigenous voices by supporting Indigenous artists, reading Indigenous stories, and contributing money toward Indigenous-led efforts and groups advocating for Indigenous rights, if you have the monetary means to do so. If you are unable to contribute your money, contribute your time and your voice. Attend and share events being held by Indigenous-led groups, whether that be on-campus or in your community. Share information on Indigenous issues and help support and actively advocate for First Nations people. Lastly, we ask that you not only celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day, but that you actively reject and disavow Columbus Day. Educate your family, your friends, and colleagues who continue to recognize Columbus Day, and call your city and state representatives to officially recognize Indigenous Peoples Day if they haven't done so already.

It is important to recognize our privilege as settlers on these lands, and even more important for each of us to do our part to not only uplift Indigenous voices today, but tomorrow and days to come. Indigenous people live in our communities and their legacy, contributions, and existence surround us on a daily basis. Though it is a good first step to recognize and educate yourself on Indigenous People's Day and educate yourself on Indigenous peoples throughout this week, we ask that you continue to do so throughout the year.

Email: asucrinternal at ucr.edu

Website: https://asucr.ucr.edu/

CENSUS AND VOTER REGISTRATION DEADLINES:

Hey Highlanders!

We are officially 17 days away from the Census deadline and 5 days away from the voter registration deadline.

UCR is at risk of an undercount!

The Census is a ONCE-EVERY 10-YEAR count of everyone residing in the United States, regardless of legal status. This questionnaire is used to determine political representation (redistricting), federal and state funding for your community (Pell grants/loans/infrastructure), and valuable statistical information for planning and policies. We urge all Highlanders to take action and ensure they and their families/friends are counted!

If you were living in off-campus, non-UCR affiliated housing back in March (before Covid restrictions), you must fill out the Census yourself, using that address, even if you have already moved out!

You can respond to this questionnaire online, by phone, or by mail. Visit https://2020census.gov/en.html for more information.

Additionally, the voter registration deadline is this Monday, October 19th. All registered voters should verify their voter registration status and address. California is now a Vote-By-Mail state, meaning anyone who is registered by the 10/19 deadline will automatically receive their ballot in the mail. Select Vote Centers will offer in-person voting throughout California.

You might be someone who was temporarily displaced because of COVID-19. If you registered to vote before COVID-19, please check your registration to see which address you are registered with. If you no longer have access to the address you are registered with, how will you obtain your ballot to vote?

To verify voter registration, please visit:

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/cavoter/

If you missed the September 14th deadline to change your address on your registration, you can still go to vote.ucr.edu and re-register to vote with the address you are currently at by October 19th, 2020.

CHECK OUT THE HIGHLANDER NEWS DIGITAL ISSUE!

Hi Highlanders,

The Highlander’s first digital issue of the school year is out! In this issue, read about Block Party, the BAC’s recommendation to eliminate the School of Public Policy and Athletics, UCR’s transition to Canvas and more. Check it out here!

Amani Mahmoud

Editor-in-Chief, Highlander Newspaper

COMPLETE THE COVID-19 ACQUIRE SURVEY

How have you been impacted by COVID-19? The statewide UCSA ACQUIRE campaign wants to know! Fill out and share our survey to help us figure out the best way to advocate for YOUR needs! There's even a chance to win gift cards! We will be taking responses through December 20th.

Elysha Castillo | She/Her/Hers

Organizing Director, Office of ASUCR External Affairs

ACQUIRE Vice Chair, UC Student Association

Email: asucrorganizing at ucr.edu | acquire at ucsa.org

Associated Students, UC Riverside

202 Highlander Union (HUB)

900 University Avenue