[Students] ASUCR UPDATE: Resolutions, Webinars, Internships, Surveys, Voting & Meetings.

Associated Students asucr at ucr.edu
Tue Oct 27 17:36:45 PDT 2020

!!DEMAND NO CLASS ON ELECTION DAY!!

Hi Highlanders, we at ASUCR believe that it is your right to have Nov. 3rd as a non-instructional day in order to give you time to vote and take time for your mental health during this historic election. On our end we have already started contacting administrators, BUT in order for it to be a reality, we need your help!

Take Action:
Sign this petition: change.org/UCRelectionday
Email your professors using this template to ask for a non-instructional day Nov. 3rd: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-ub2F0-Tmz-GMLgHyAsp_bXlpXRY2lvr1W7NndT26to/edit?usp=sharing
And attached to this email is a graphic you can share on social media and your class group chats to promote the petition

Any questions? Email asucrvotes at ucr.edu

Emily Thomas

ASUCR Civic Engagement Director

asucrvotes at ucr.edu

THE WELL AND BASIC NEEDS X ASUCR WEBINAR:  HOW TO STAY SAFE DURING COVID-19:

Hi Highlanders,

Learn about how to stay safe and healthy during COVID-19 this Friday (10/30) @ 2pm. Golden ARCHES, Active Minds, and Team Fresh will be presenting helpful information and resources to help you stay safe and healthy during this time. For every person who attends, ASUCR will be donating $1 towards The Well’s COVID-19 Wellness Kits. Two $50 gift cards will be raffled to attendees. Click on the link below to RSVP!

https://ucr.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJApdu6hrjsqHtYCkZYkLS6vV7TzbjP1ZeRf

Thank you,

Stephanie Zeng (she/her)

2020-2021 ASUCR GSOE Senator

asucr at ucr.edu

ASUCR SENATE INTERNSHIP APPLICATION:

Hello Highlanders,

ASUCR has an opportunity for students to shadow our 18 senators for the academic year. This internship gives you direct access to the duties and responsibilities of a senator and hands-on experience when it comes to writing legislation, meeting with constituents, and so much more!

The application can be found HERE. The deadline for this application is November 6th, 2020, @ 5:00 PM.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out at asucrevp at ucr.edu and asucrcommittees at ucr.edu.

Thank you and take care.

Best,

Natalie Hernandez

Executive Vice President

asucrevp at ucr.edu

and

Sean Nguyen

Personnel Director

asucrcommittees at ucr.edu

PLEASE COMPLETE THE REMOTE LEARNING SURVEY!

Hi Highlanders,

The ASUCR International Student Committee is asking for all Highlanders, including all International Students, to take a quick 2-3 minute anonymous survey!

We want to ask you how your fall quarter has been so far in the midst of the pandemic and remote learning, as it has been hard for all students, whether domestic or International. We would like to hear from you as the academic year is starting, and expand on more possibilities/sources of what the International Student Committee could do for both our domestic and international peers.

CLICK HERE to take the survey!

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us.

Best,

Cristina Chen (She/Hers)

Co-Chair

ASUCR International Student Committee

asucrcommittees at ucr.edu

GCAP SPOOKY ENVIRONMENTAL INJUSTICE SESSION – JOIN US!

I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. I am reaching out to invite you to the Green Campus Action Plan Spooky Environmental Injustice session on October 30, 2020, from 1pm to 2pm via this zoom link. We will be covering the horrors of environmental injustices, environmental racism, and environmental discrimination. Come join us to learn the warning signs so you are able to protect yourself, your family, and your community!

If you are unable to join, we highly encourage you to check out our website at gcapucr.com on Friday to browse through our new environmental injustices page! We hope to virtually see you there!

Warm Regards,

Vanessa Gomez-Alvarado

ASUCR VP of Sustainability 2020-2021

Green Campus Action Plan Director

Email: asucrgcap at ucr.edu

ASUCR SENATE MEETING THIS WEEK:

Hello Highlanders!

I hope everyone is doing well!  Today we are having our 4th Senate Meeting at 6:30 p.m.!  Agenda items are attached to this email and the zoom link is provided in the link below. If you would like to speak during Public Forum/Comment, please make sure to fill out the form! The form is provided in the link below as well or on our Instagram page @asucrevp. If you are not able to attend, do not worry for we post our Senate Meeting recordings in the link below too! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at asucrevp at ucr.edu. Thank you and stay healthy Highlanders!

The Office of the Executive Vice President Links

Best Regards,

Natalie Hernandez
Executive Vice President (She/Her)

asucrevp at ucr.edu

PROPOSITION 22 - ASUCR RESOLUTION:

Good morning Highlanders,

In accordance with recently passed ASUCR legislation, I am emailing you today to explain why your student government stands against CA Proposition 22.

In short, it will allow large gig companies like Uber, Lyft, and Instacart to avoid paying California minimum wage, make these workers’ unionizing rights illegal, and may overall depress Californian wages due to weakened union rights.

For more information on the matter, please check out this nonpartisan guide on prop 22 and please read the passed resolution “SR-F20-001 Fighting Corporate Greed and Prop 22 Act”

In Solidarity,

Orlando Cabalo

President Pro Tempore

asucrprotempore at ucr.edu

REGISTER TO VOTE – 7 DAYS LEFT!

Hey Highlanders!

We are officially 7 days away from the election! If you have a mail-in ballot, you can drop it off at a local vote center or official ballot box. UCR has a local vote center at the Cesar Chavez Community Center (2060 University Avenue Riverside, CA 92507). If you need transportation, you can take the bus for free directly from Bannockburn Apartments to the Cesar Chavez Community Center using the U-Pass. In order to utilize the free bus rides, you must sign up for U-Pass by this Thursday, 10/29/2020, as U-pass takes 3-4 days to activate. Please use this link and provide your name, cell phone number, UCR email address, and SID number. For a list of other vote centers in Riverside County, please view this link.

If you have not yet registered to vote, you can still conditionally register and cast a provisional ballot in person at your County Elections Office at any time up to and including Election Day. Your provisional ballot will be counted when your County Elections Official verifies your voter registration. Conditional registration may also be available in County Elections satellite offices and vote centers.

Additionally, the California Secretary of State is now offering voters a new way to track and receive notifications on the status of their vote-by-mail ballot. The “Where’s My Ballot?” tool lets voters know where their ballot is, and its status, every step of the way. Sign up at WheresMyBallot.sos.ca.gov.

For non-partisan information on California Propositions on the ballot, please see the Legislative Analyst’s Office or the Cal Matters 2020 Elections Guide.

Take action this year and get out the vote!

#HighlandersVote

ASUCR

asucr at ucr.edu

CHECK OUT THIS WEEK’S HIGHLANDER NEWSPAPER - ELECTION ISSUE!

Hi Highlanders! The Highlander's Elections Issue is here! To learn more about the local, state and presidential election, read The Highlander's Elections Guide by clicking here!

Sincerely,

Amani Mahmoud,

Editor-in-Chief, The Highlander

She/Hers